PDA

View Full Version : Referencing List, how can i find the closest match?

plasteredric
09-24-2017, 04:20 AM
I have two sheets in my workbook, one called "Template", the other "Upload"
On the template sheet I have a list of names in column A and a matrix from columns B to F.
On the "Upload" sheet i would like to be able to paste a list on names and to find the closest matching names from the list in the "Template" sheet, I then want to place a points value (from 1 to 3) in the correct row of the matrix on the "template" sheet, under the column that relates to the source of the list.
Hope that makes sense, if anyone can help.

offthelip
09-25-2017, 09:22 AM
It doesn't make sense to me, two things, I don't know how to deal with "closest matching names" because you haven't defined how they might vary, and how we are supposed to find the closest match.
secondly , I don't know how to deal with "under the column that relates to the source of the list" because there is nothing on the Upload sheet that defines this.
Thus I reckon it is impossible at the moment.

mdmackillop
09-25-2017, 09:32 AM
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5859561/getting-the-closest-string-match

plasteredric
09-25-2017, 03:57 PM
Thanks guys, I now see that i'll have a myriad of problems trying to get a code to do all that I want it too. The reason they would vary would be due to human error, spelling mistakes etc. I'll stick with doing that part manually for now.

cheers

SamT
09-25-2017, 04:32 PM
Start a VBA Scripting Dictionary with an alert to say when a misspelling can't be found. The bigger the Dictionary gets, the less work for you. Save it on a very hidden sheet.