PDA

View Full Version : Unable to use formula in Shapes

Svmaxcel
10-20-2017, 05:41 AM
I created a basic shape in excel.I first used a formula =map!a1 and hot reference of the cell.Now I tried using =text(a1,"mm-dd-yy") and got error.I was not able to view it because it came and flashed away.Different new file same issuesCan we use any formula in shapes like we use in cell?

Paul_Hossler
10-20-2017, 06:00 AM
I created a basic shape in excel.I first used a formula =map!a1 and hot reference of the cell.Now I tried using =text(a1,"mm-dd-yy") and got error.I was not able to view it because it came and flashed away.Different new file same issuesCan we use any formula in shapes like we use in cell?

I usually put the results of the formula (=TEXT(A1,"mm-dd-yy")) that uses the cell (A1 in your example) in a cell that will be covered by the shape (E9 in the attachment)

The shape formula can (I believe) only reference a basic cell address, so the shape formula would be =E9

Aflatoon
10-20-2017, 09:26 AM
You can use a named formula but you have to initially set the name up to just refer to a range, and then alter it after it has been assigned to the shape.

V.B.A.02
10-30-2017, 02:18 PM
You may change the formatting of the cell (map!a1) you are referring in shape.
Go to format cells (Ctrl+1) while map!a1 is selected.
then custom format and put "mm-dd-yy".