PDA

View Full Version : SOLVED: More than 256 char in textbox

lucas
08-02-2004, 06:59 PM
I haven't worked in Access for a while and when I did it was as a beginner but I remember being able to use a textbox that would hold more than 256 charactors. I could be wrong, may have had to use a memo box. Could anyone give me some insight. Also seems like you could compile mdb into stand alone. Not mde but true stand alone but you needed an addon for access. Been too long I guess.

Cosmos75
08-02-2004, 07:27 PM
I haven't worked in Access for a while and when I did it was as a beginner but I remember being able to use a textbox that would hold more than 256 charactors. I could be wrong, may have had to use a memo box. Could anyone give me some insight.You will need to make sure that your data type for your field (set via the table design) is = memo

From the Access Help File (Access XP/2002)
"Up to 65,535 characters. (If the Memo field is manipulated through DAO and only text and numbers [not binary data] will be stored in it, then the size of the Memo field is limited by the size of the database.)"

In the form, set Scroll Bars property set to "Vertical" for your textbox for that memo field (Under the Format tab).

In Access XP/2002 at least, there is a property under the Other tab - Enter key behavior that you can set to "New Line in Field". I can't remember if Access 2000 or 97 has that. I don't have that at home and I don't use a memo field often.

Also seems like you could compile mdb into stand alone. Not mde but true stand alone but you needed an addon for access. Been too long I guess.You cant really compile an Access database into a .exe or stand alone. What you can do (if you have the developer edition of Access) is is to distribute a runtime version of Access that allows the user to open and use Access files but not create anything.

Creating an .mde file compiles that code (someone may have to correct me on that one) and locks all the objects in the database (i.e. no changes can be made). Additionally this protects any code you have incoporated from prying eyes as it cannot be viewed.

I think it is typically more often done with a split db situation;
Front End (*.mde) - Contains forms, queries, reports, modules.
Back End (*.mdb) - Contains tables.
(Be sure that you have a copy before creating an mde in case you do need to make any changes or add objects.)

That is a bit of a simplistic overview but it should serve as a starting point for you, I hope.

Not sure if that answers your question or not. If not, post back and we'll try and get it sorted out.
:)

lucas
08-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Actually Cosmos I think that answers all of my questions. I found the table and in design view changed the data type to memo, set my vertical scroll bars and that was just what I was looking for. I appreciate the info on the developers editition. I have several access data base files saved to mde so I understand all that you said about backing up and that you can't change anything except the data once you save it as an mde. mark this one solved. Thanks

Cosmos75
08-03-2004, 06:22 PM
Glad to be of service, neighbour!
:)

Edit: One last thing to add . I know that 97 through XP/2002 have a Developers Edition of Office. But I think that 2003 does not have a "Developers Edition". Instead I think you have to buy a some developers tool add-on or something like that, on top of purchasing Office 2003. I could be wrong about this so you may want to check it out or perhaps someone here can correct me on that.

flavo
08-03-2004, 11:24 PM
Yes, making a mde compiles the code. Runs faster, takes up less space and you cant edit reports, forms, modules or classes. You still still play with the querydefs (the saved query's) and tables.

Dave

flavo
08-03-2004, 11:27 PM
Also there are older veriosn of Access dev. ed

ADE 2003 or MOD 2003 = Microsoft Office Access 2003 Developer Extensions
MOD XP or MOD 2002 = Microsoft Office XP Developer
ODE 97 = Office Developers Edition 97
ADT 95 = Access Developer's Toolkit 7.0
ADT 2.0 = Microsoft Access (2.0) Developer's Toolkit

Dont think you'll find the older ones though.

Dave