PDA

View Full Version : this file is opned from....

sal21
11-22-2005, 01:55 PM
assuming i have this dir on my server: \\myserver\myserverdir\ (file://\myservermyserverdir)
and into this dir myserverdir are present many file myfile1.xls, myfile2.xls... ecc....
The dir on server have free permition for all users.
is possible to show a msg box a user if open myfile1.xls if this file is alreday opned from other user...

eaxmple: i open the myfile1.xls and this is already opened from other user show msgbox: "attention this file is alreday opened from "name of user have opened", close wbook without save...naturally.
Tks

MWE
11-22-2005, 02:37 PM
assuming i have this dir on my server: \\myserver\myserverdir\ (file://%5Cmyservermyserverdir)
and into this dir myserverdir are present many file myfile1.xls, myfile2.xls... ecc....
The dir on server have free permition for all users.
is possible to show a msg box a user if open myfile1.xls if this file is alreday opned from other user...

eaxmple: i open the myfile1.xls and this is already opened from other user show msgbox: "attention this file is alreday opened from "name of user have opened", close wbook without save...naturally.
Tks I have not run on a server in almost two years, but assuming things have not changed much and the server is running a WinXX op/sys.
If I understand your question correctly:
1. there is a directory on a server and many users have access
2. if one user has opened a file, say, myfile1.xls, in that directory, and some other user trys to open the same file, you want some messge to appear indicating that the file is already open.
3. this should automatically happen if your server is set up correctly. I can not remember if the message indicates WHO has the file open (perhaps that is your real question). Even if all users have read/write/mod permissions, the system should manage the problem of multiple users trying to access the same file at the same time
4. further, the system should automatically open the file as "ReadOnly" for the 2nd (or 3rd, ...) user.

sal21
11-22-2005, 02:47 PM
I have not run on a server in almost two years, but assuming things have not changed much and the server is running a WinXX op/sys.
If I understand your question correctly:
1. there is a directory on a server and many users have access
2. if one user has opened a file, say, myfile1.xls, in that directory, and some other user trys to open the same file, you want some messge to appear indicating that the file is already open.
3. this should automatically happen if your server is set up correctly. I can not remember if the message indicates WHO has the file open (perhaps that is your real question). Even if all users have read/write/mod permissions, the system should manage the problem of multiple users trying to access the same file at the same time
4. further, the system should automatically open the file as "ReadOnly" for the 2nd (or 3rd, ...) user.

GOAL! sure all point 1 2 3 4 are perfect!