PDA

View Full Version : Access Hyperlink stops Word Add-in (Access 2013)

davis1118
12-10-2017, 08:07 PM
I am creating a table to place the information for the different files that we use at work. The files are both Excel and Word. The table will have hyperlinks to the files so any user can open the file directly. Both the Word and Excel files have a BeforeSave macro that runs as an add-in. The problem is that the BeforeSave event works fine when the Excel files are opened through the Access Hyperlinks but the Word add-in does not work. There are no errors when the save button is pressed, the event is not triggered and it does nothing.
I had the exact same issue when opening the Word documents through Excel hyperlinks and found the solution through this forum. But I have very little experience with Access vba, so I'm unsure how to adapt the Excel code to work in Access. Below is the code I am using.

This is the Excel code that I received through this forum (From gmayor) to allow the Word add-in macro to run when opened through an Excel hyperlink (Just need help adapting this to work with Access):

Private Sub Workbook_SheetFollowHyperlink(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Hyperlink)
Dim wdApp As Object
Dim wdDoc As Object
On Error Resume Next
Set wdApp = GetObject(, "Word.Application")
If Err Then
Set wdApp = CreateObject("Word.Application")
End If
On Error GoTo 0
wdApp.Visible = True
wdApp.Run "Register_Event_Handler"
End Sub

Here is the code that runs in the Word Add-in:
Module (mdlEventConnect):

Option Explicit
Public EventHandler As New clsEventHandler

Public Sub Register_Event_Handler()
Set EventHandler.App = Word.Application
End Sub

Public Sub AutoExec()
Register_Event_Handler
End Sub

Class Module (clsEventHandler):

Public WithEvents App As Word.Application
Private Sub App_DocumentBeforeSave(ByVal Doc As Document, SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean)
'Lots of code goes in here
End Sub

Thank you very much for the help! -David

OBP
12-11-2017, 08:17 AM
As there are no references to Excel have you tried the identical code in Access?

davis1118
12-11-2017, 10:17 AM
Yeah I tried placing the code below into Access vba with no result. The Word document is opened but then the BeforeSave macro in Word doesn't do anything.

Private Sub tblProductDocuments_SheetFollowHyperlink(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Hyperlink)
Dim wdApp As Object
Dim wdDoc As Object
On Error Resume Next
If Err Then
End If
On Error GoTo 0
wdApp.Visible = True
End Sub
Again, I don't know anything about Access code so I am just guessing how to reference the table that the hyperlinks are placed in.

OBP
12-11-2017, 10:32 AM
You can probably still use the older Access FollowHyperlink VBA as I don't know how the Access 2013 version works.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vba/access-vba/articles/application-followhyperlink-method-acces
(https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vba/access-vba/articles/application-followhyperlink-method-access)
The other point is that VBA can open the actual Document as well as Word, as in

Dim wApp As Word.Application
Dim wDoc As Word.Document
Set wApp = New Word.Application
Set wDoc = wApp.Documents.Open("C:\Users\A C\Downloads\Word\ExportLetter.docx")

davis1118
12-12-2017, 12:09 PM
I was able to get the code to work by making it run with the "click" event on the textbox that the hyperlink is located in. When the Word hyperlink is opened the Word add-in macro now runs.

Private Sub Document_Location_Click()
Dim wdApp As Object
Dim wdDoc As Object
On Error Resume Next
If Err Then
End If
On Error GoTo 0
wdApp.Visible = True

End Sub

Now the only problem is that when there is an Excel hyperlink in the text box from a different record set, it starts to open word along with Excel. I'm not sure what I can do about that.