PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Very simple problem with no solution found

MaryAnne
01-02-2018, 08:42 PM
This is so simple. I'm a new user. I've watched the instructional videos more than once. I can set up a lovely spread sheet. But the functions do not work. I've searched for what the problem can be, and tried the suggestions (such as look for a space, remove the none numerical cell contents such as '$' and periods and commas . . .and still no results. I am trying to multiply one cell with another in a row. And I'm also adding several rows in a column.
My paper and pencil work well.
The spread sheet looks nice when I input the values, but I wanted to actually use it as intended.

Is my difficulty because microsoft wants me to upgrade to their latest product (my latest update is 2012 and is no longer supported by microsoft)?

Am I missing something else obvious?

I am using a MacBook.
Mary Anne

jolivanes
01-02-2018, 10:00 PM
Attach your workbook that has the problem.
Mac users are still a minority I think but someone will fix it for you.

snb
01-03-2018, 02:42 AM
- enter a formula starting with '=': '=A1*B1' (without hyphens

- make the formatting: numberformat 'general'.

Paul_Hossler
01-03-2018, 08:01 AM
Some general thoughts / tips that might help (these are from Windows Excel, but should be the same)

1. Leave the actual numbers as numbers. Apply Formatting for display and presentation purposes

This is the basic data 'behind the scenes' ...

... and this is with the formatting selected (Currency in this case)

2. Find a good introductory book at the local book store or look on line. I found a lot of online Windows Excel sources (I did not look hard for specific Mac 2012 training), but the general concepts would probably be the same

https://www.saylor.org/site/textbooks/How%20to%20Use%20Microsoft%20Excel.pdf

http://uregina.ca/~lintottl/Excel%20tutorial.pdf

http://download.nos.org/basiccomp/l12.pdf

MaryAnne
01-06-2018, 07:49 PM
Hi All of you.

I'm not sure what mulitquote means, but I'm wanting you all to see my thank you.

I appreciate all of your feedback on this simple problem. I think I've finally figured it out. I took out all the periods, and used a comma for the decimal. Then, I formatted by highlighting the name of the column and pressing on a currency shortcut in the tool bar. That formatting took a lot of trial and error, as the more typical avenues did not work (neither the toolbox or the format tab a the top worked for me).

I really appreciate your help and how fast you were.

I'll carry on now, and hopefully finish my work!
Mary Anne

MaryAnne
01-07-2018, 07:20 PM
Here I am again.
This time, I thought it was all set up, but one of my cells in which holds a number (with one comma for the decimal), turns into #####. ??
I thought I had completed the sheet, including formatting, and was ready to add rows of data.
I find it hard to trust using it beyond being a chart.
Before giving up, I'm asking you. I really hope I don't have to undo the formatting, because it is far from easy to format. For e.g. I've no idea how I found the $, as any of the usual formatting methods give me a pound sign. And my general settings are set to Canadian English. (Please don't tell me California things we use the English pound!)
Thank you for your patience.

Jan Karel Pieterse
01-08-2018, 04:40 AM
That simply means the number is too large to display within the bounds of the column. Drag the column a bit wider to fix it (or double-click between that column letter and the next one, your mouse should turn into two sideways pointing arrows.

MaryAnne
01-08-2018, 08:56 AM
That simply means the number is too large to display within the bounds of the column. Drag the column a bit wider to fix it (or double-click between that column letter and the next one, your mouse should turn into two sideways pointing arrows.