PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Help with Offset and r Resize formulas to select a range.

LutonBarry
01-03-2018, 04:21 PM
Hello folks,

I have a spreadsheet attached as a sample. The columns in use never vary but the number of rows would.

Data is not entered in every cell in the blue range and it is that range I want to select.

I've had a go at some code using current region select and then the Offset function which moves the selection two columns to the right but then includes columns I and J which I don't want. I then tried the resize function but cannot get that to work.

But basically I want to select the region with data entered in columns C to H.

Sub SelectRange()

Dim myhours As Range

Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Select
Set myhours = Range("A1").CurrentRegion
myhours.Offset(, 2).Select
myhours.Resize(, 2).Select

End Sub

Paul_Hossler
01-03-2018, 04:52 PM
Many ways, this is probably the easiest

Option Explicit
Sub SelectRange()

Dim myhours As Range
Set myhours = myhours.Cells(1, 3).Resize(myhours.Rows.Count, myhours.Columns.Count - 2)
MsgBox myhours.Address
End Sub

LutonBarry
01-03-2018, 05:18 PM
Paul, Thanks very much looks easy when you know how:-)

Looking at the code below does the 'myHours.Cells(1,3)' reset the top left corner of the selection to C1 from A1?
Then the resize element 'columns count - 2' bring the selection back two columns from the right hand side?

Set myhours = myhours.Cells(1, 3).Resize(myhours.Rows.Count, myhours.Columns.Count - 2)

But again thank you very much for your help. I'll mark the thread as solved but would be grateful if yo can clarify on the two questions above.

Paul_Hossler
01-03-2018, 05:35 PM
Usually not necessary to .Select something to work on it

Step through the more debuggy version below and see the effects of selecting and not selecting

The myhours (C:H) is not selected until the end, otherwise the Selection doesn't change (Still A1)

Option Explicit
Sub SelectRange()

Dim myhours As Range

Range("A1").Select
MsgBox Selection.Address

MsgBox myhours.Address
MsgBox Selection.Address

MsgBox myhours.Address
MsgBox Selection.Address

myhours.Select
MsgBox Selection.Address

End Sub

p45cal
01-04-2018, 06:03 PM
or:
Sub blah()
Dim myhours As Range
Set myhours = Intersect(myhours, myhours.Offset(, 2))
myhours.Select
End Subor:
Sub blah2()
Dim myhours As Range
Set myhours = Intersect(Range("A1").CurrentRegion, Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Offset(, 2))
myhours.Select
End Sub

LutonBarry
01-05-2018, 03:26 AM
Paul and P45cal Can I thanks you both for your input here it is invaluable.

As Paul intially said there are many ways to solve a problem like this and in so ways that is what causes a novice like me so many problems as you have many alternatives.

But your input has opened many other doors for me.

Thanks and a Happy New Year to you both.