PDA

View Full Version : Manipulate 2 different columns to become one

jackCell
01-08-2018, 07:30 PM
Hi all,

I would like to manipulate the columns of 2 different excel file to be the same. For example,

In the first file, I have Apple Orange Mango Starfruit.

In the second file, I have Orange, honeydew, dragonfruit.

I would like to make both columns of both file the same, Apple Orange Mango starfruit honeydew dragonFruit, so that it will be possible to append the files together.

Cheers,
Jack

mana
01-09-2018, 03:00 AM
Option Explicit

Sub test()
Dim r1 As Range
Dim r2 As Range

Set r1 = Sheets(1).Cells(1).CurrentRegion.Columns(1).Cells
Set r2 = Sheets(2).Cells(1).CurrentRegion.Columns(1).Cells

r1.Copy r2(r2.Count).Offset(1)
r2.EntireColumn.RemoveDuplicates 1
r2.EntireColumn.Copy r1(1)

End Sub

マナ

Dave
01-09-2018, 06:49 AM
Give this a trial. Data in "A" in both files. Note the format of data has to maintained with a comma and space between words. HTH. Dave

Sub tested()
Dim FilDir As Object, Lastrow As Integer, cnt As Integer, Wrd As Variant, fso As Object
'data in "A1:A" & lastrow in both workbooks
With Sheets("Sheet1")
Lastrow = .Range("A" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
End With
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
Set fso = CreateObject("scripting.filesystemobject")
'***change File path to your file
Set FilDir = fso.GetFile(ThisWorkbook.Path & "\Datafiles\" & "test.xlsm")
workbooks.Open filename:=FilDir
For cnt = 1 To Lastrow
For Each Wrd In Split(workbooks(FilDir.Name).Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A" & cnt).Value, ", ")
If InStr(UCase(ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A" & cnt).Value), UCase(Wrd)) = 0 Then
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A" & cnt).Value = _
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A" & cnt).Value & ", " & Wrd
End If
Next Wrd
Wrd = vbNullString
Next cnt
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:A" & Lastrow).Copy _
Destination:=workbooks(FilDir.Name).Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A" & 1)
Application.CutCopyMode = False
workbooks(FilDir.Name).Close SaveChanges:=True
Set FilDir = Nothing
Set fso = Nothing
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
End Sub

jackCell
01-10-2018, 07:51 PM
Thanks for all your help. Although the output is a little different from what I wanted, but I manage to solve it.

I stored all the column headers in arr1. Next, I store all the column headers from worksheet 2 in arr2.

Next I iterate through each value in arr1, if there are any matching values in arr2. Next, I check the position if they are the same, if they are the same, do nothing. Else if **** the entire column. If it's not there, I add an empty column to the position. Fill the column header with the value of arr1 and re capture all the column header to arr2 before iterating through the next loop.

This should not be the most efficient way to do it... but that's all I can think of right now.

Dave
01-11-2018, 05:04 AM
Glad U figured it out. Your original request referred to 2 XL files but U solved it with 2 worksheets? U never mentioned anything about headers being present? Did U trial any of the help U received? Anyways, I'm happy that U have resolved this. Thanks for posting your outcome. Dave