PDA

View Full Version : VBA - Email notification when job added to list.

Jab331
01-15-2018, 03:48 AM
Morning All,

Within my department we use an excel based job register for employees to add engineering issues as they occur. Currently someone within my department has to sporadically check the register to see if any new jobs have been added and then assign them to an engineer and give it a priority etc. Is it possible to set up something within VBA that will send an email as a job has been added so they aren't missed and they can be assigned and reviewed quickly?

The register will be saved in a general drive on a server that anyone can access. There is a team email address that I would like the notification sent to so all members will be alerted when a new job is added.

Thanks,

Jack

ranman256
01-15-2018, 08:26 AM
The best way I think is to use a form. User enters the new info, clicks save, and that would send the email.

usage:

sub btnSave_Click()
call Email1("bob@myCo.com","New Person Added","This is to inform you...")
end sub

Public Function Email1(ByVal pvTo, ByVal pvSubj, ByVal pvBody, Optional ByVal pvFile) As Boolean
Dim oApp As Outlook.Application
Dim oMail As Outlook.MailItem

On Error GoTo ErrMail

'*** NOTE : YOU MUST HAVE THE OUTLOOK REFERENCE CHECKED IN VBE; ctl-G, menu,tools, references ***

Set oApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
Set oMail = oApp.createitem(olmailitem)
With oMail
.To = pvTo
.Subject = pvSubj
If Not IsNull(pvBody) Then .Body = pvBody
If Not IsMissing(pvFile) Then .Attachments.Add pvFile, olByValue, 1

.Display True
.Send
End With

Email1 = True
endit:
Set oMail = Nothing
Set oApp = Nothing
Exit Function

ErrMail:
MsgBox Err.Description, vbCritical, Err
Resume endit
End Function

Jab331
01-22-2018, 04:49 AM
Thank you for the response ranman.

I only now the relative basic of VBA so I'm able to check the references are enabled and to create forms etc but I'm pretty lost from there.

I was already using a form for the input of new jobs so I have just added the above code to the "submit job" button but to no avail.

Will there be an issue with the fact that the job register itself will be saved on a general drive and people will be accessing the file from different PC's, log ins and email accounts to add jobs to the register?

Ideally I'd just like a generic new job added message sent to a single email address every time somebody submits a new job to the register.

Thanks

paulked
01-22-2018, 05:27 AM
Put this line in the code where you save the new job

Call Email1("bob@myCo.com","New Person Added","This is to inform you...")

Change the email address to the group address, change the New Person Added to whatever you want the subject line to be and change the This is to inform you... to whatever you want the body text to be.

Copy the Function code (Public Function Email... through to End Function) into a normal code module.

You should be good to go!

paulked
01-22-2018, 05:58 AM
Cross posted here:

https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/1038481-vba-email-notification-when-job-added-list.html

Jab331
01-22-2018, 06:49 AM
I didn't realise both forums were linked? I was just trying to get as much help as possible so I wont cross post in future.

I have done as you described above and I have a few minor questions. If I remove the .Display function from the module will that mean the email will send without bringing up the display window also?

Also if someone adds a job from another computer/login etc. will the email sent be from their address?

paulked
01-22-2018, 06:59 AM
The forums aren't linked but cross-posting is frowned on as anyone helping out doesn't have the full story and could be wasting their time.

Yes, if you remove the .Display it will send without displaying.

Yes, the default email address in Outlook is used. This can be changed, but I've never used it... see here for guidance:

https://www.rondebruin.nl/win/s1/outlook/account.htm

Jab331
01-22-2018, 07:33 AM
Understood, I will refrain from cross-posting.

I have removed the .Display and that has worked fine. I'm also happy for the default email address to be used.

Is it possible to link some of the body of the email to the information added in the form? For example two of the section within the form are "programme" and "description" and it would make assigning the jobs a lot easier if these were included in the email?

Thanks for all the help so far.

paulked
01-22-2018, 07:55 AM
You could have different texts for different scenarios, something along the lines of:

Dim BodyText As String, JobPhase As String
If JobPhase = "Order" Then
BodyText = "A new order has been received."
ElseIf JobPhase = "New" Then
BodyText = "A new job has been started."
ElseIf JobPhase = "Sent" Then
BodyText = "The order has been despatched"
End If
Call Email1("bob@myCo.com", "New Person Added", BodyText)

You could also assign a variable to the subject in the same way, giving you more flexibility.

Jab331
01-22-2018, 08:08 AM
That could work. Where would excel be searching for the phrases to link to though? For example in your scenario where would excel be searching for the term "order" within the submitted data?

I would look to assign the programme section to a certain phrase e.g if the programme "Test" is selected by the userform when they submit the job and send the email I would like to link the body text to include the phrase "Programme: Test - New job added to the register".

paulked
01-22-2018, 08:17 AM
How are you selecting the different programmes in the userform?

eg If it's a ComboBox then it would be:

If ComboBox1 = "Test" Then
BodyText = "Programme: Test - New job added to the register"
ElseIf ...

Even better, can you attach your workbook?

Jab331
01-22-2018, 08:24 AM
I have attached my workbook, a bit of a mess I know but its in the early stages and I have plans for it to be quite a complex beast by the end.

Password to unprotect any sheet is ME12345 and passwords on certain buttons is ME1234

paulked
01-22-2018, 09:11 AM
Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()
'Copy inut values to sheet.
Dim lRow As Long, BdyTxt As String
Dim ws As Worksheet
Set ws = Worksheets("ME Jobs")
BdyTxt = " - New job added to the register."
lRow = ws.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).Row
With ws
.Cells(lRow, 1).Value = Me.TextBox1.Value
.Cells(lRow, 3).Value = Me.TextBox2.Value
.Cells(lRow, 4).Value = Me.ComboBox1.Value
.Cells(lRow, 5).Value = Me.TextBox3.Value
.Cells(lRow, 6).Value = Me.TextBox4.Value
.Cells(lRow, 7).Value = Me.ComboBox2.Value
End With
'Clear input controls.
Me.TextBox1.Value = ""
Me.TextBox2.Value = ""
Me.ComboBox1.Value = ""
Me.TextBox3.Value = ""
Me.TextBox4.Value = ""
'Add your variable strings here-------------------------
If ComboBox2 = "BK117" Then
BdyTxt = "Programme: BK117" & BdyTxt
ElseIf ComboBox2 = "EC135" Then
BdyTxt = "Programme: EC135" & BdyTxt
End If

Me.ComboBox2.Value = ""
Call Email1("Jack.Burge@GKNAerospace.com", "New Job Added to ME Job Register", BdyTxt & _
" Please assign a suitable ME and priority to the new job.")
End Sub

You can add as many ElseIf's as you need!

Jab331
01-24-2018, 05:41 AM
That works great, thank you. If I wanted to include more information, such as the department in ComboBox1, also included in the BdyTxt how would that be done?

paulked
01-24-2018, 07:55 AM
Try this, I've altered the way it picks up Combobox2 too. You can compare them and have a play around. BTW, vbCr is the same as vbNewLine.
You could add any of the Textboxes in there too, just move the 'clear' commands to below the 'add to string' commands otherwise you'll get nothing added!!

Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()
'Copy inut values to sheet.
Dim lRow As Long, BdyTxt As String
Dim ws As Worksheet
Set ws = Worksheets("ME Jobs")
BdyTxt = "New job added to the register."
lRow = ws.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).Row
With ws
.Cells(lRow, 1).Value = Me.TextBox1.Value
.Cells(lRow, 3).Value = "ME" & Format(rw - 6, "0000")
.Cells(lRow, 4).Value = Me.ComboBox1.Value
.Cells(lRow, 5).Value = Me.TextBox3.Value
.Cells(lRow, 6).Value = Me.TextBox4.Value
.Cells(lRow, 7).Value = Me.ComboBox2.Value
End With
'Clear input controls.
Me.TextBox1.Value = ""
Me.TextBox2.Value = ""
Me.TextBox3.Value = ""
Me.TextBox4.Value = ""
'Add your variable strings here-------------------------
BdyTxt = BdyTxt & vbCr & "Department: " & ComboBox1 & vbCr & "Programme : " & ComboBox2
MsgBox BdyTxt
Me.ComboBox1.Value = ""
Me.ComboBox2.Value = ""
Call Email1("Jack.Burge@GKNAerospace.com", "New Job Added to ME Job Register", BdyTxt & _
" Please assign a suitable ME and priority to the new job.")
End Sub

paulked
01-24-2018, 09:25 AM
I have taken the liberty of adding a password form to your workbook. The main advantage of using this form over an inputbox is that it hides the characters of your password as you type them in.

Unzip the frmPassword.zip to get the frmPassword.frm file.
Right-click and Import File to your Forms directory in the VBA editor.

To call it, instead of :

Dim ThePW As String
ThePW = InputBox("A password is required to run this procedure." & vbCrLf & _
"Please enter the password:", "Password")
If ThePW <> "ME1234" Then Exit Sub

use:

frmPassword.Show
If frmPassword.Tag <> "1" Then Exit Sub

In the user form code, change Tag = 1 to Tag = "1" - Sorry, missed that before uploading!