PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question (hopefully) - Possible to create a front sheet for analysing data?

plasteredric
03-04-2018, 07:01 AM
I have a large spreadsheet, which I would like to backtest to see what results I can pull from it.

Is it possible to create a frontsheet, that applies filters to data in another sheet? or would this have to be done in a virtual array?

I assume this is possible, just would like to confirm before I start working on it

cheers

Paul_Hossler
03-04-2018, 01:53 PM
You could use pivot tables on the 'dashboard' worksheet that all use the data from the 'large' sheet instead of a lot of data filters

Post sample data and results if you want ideas from the group

SamT
03-04-2018, 02:36 PM
I recommend keeping your Data Sheet(s) simple, pure, and inviolate. You can create many analysis and reports sheets that use the data without modifying it in any way.

werafa
03-05-2018, 12:44 AM
you can link pivot table slicers to apply a filter to all linked pivot tables.

if you must use the standard excel filters, you can set these via vba, and can set the filter values in the process. you have to spend a lot more time managing/programming your filter inputs - and it will take a lot longer to set up.

if you can't follow Paul's advice above, you might have better value investigating Microsoft BI - this is the analysis engine that is behind the new power pivot functionality, and is also free.

plasteredric
03-18-2018, 08:31 AM
Right, now that I've got my sheet setup and working how I want it, thought it's time I look into analysing the data.

Really not sure how to go about it, but hopefully one of you excel wizards will be able to help.

I've attached a sample of the full sheet and a sheet with a few of my ideas as to how i would analyse it. Any suggestions of how to do this?

thanks in advance