PDA

View Full Version : VB Macro error when exiting Outlook 2003

ernie2929
12-04-2005, 03:44 PM
Every time I close Outlook 2003, I get the error:
Microsoft Visual Basic
The macros on this project arer disabled. Please refer to the online help or documentation of the host application to determine how to enable macros.

So far I have:
Gone to the MS web site & downloaded any patches
Gone into About Outlook/ Disabled items - no items disabled
Changed the Macro security - I have tried high, medium and low, with no effect

Any ideas?

:dunno

TonyJollans
12-04-2005, 04:44 PM
I think this may be Word rather than Outlook. Are you using Word as your editor in Outlook? If so, check to see if it - or an AddIn - is trying to do something on shutdown.

ernie2929
12-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Good shout.

Using Word 2003.
Tools \options \security \macro security
- set High - Outlook exit gives the error message above
- set Medium (which prompts macros) - message - "c:\ program files\ microsoft office \office11\ startup\f inereader6.sprint.dot" contains macros - Disable /Enable /Exit?
- set Low - no messages

I am a bit concerned that Ihave to leave Word 2003 with Macro Security set to Low.

mdmackillop
12-04-2005, 05:04 PM
Hi Ernie,
Welcome to VBAX.
You could look at digitally signing your macros.
http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=3
Regards
MD

ernie2929
12-04-2005, 05:10 PM
I haven't written any macros (but see what you mean if I did)..... I assume finereader6.sprint.dot is one that is installed as part of the standard Word installation.

mdmackillop
12-04-2005, 05:19 PM
I don't see this file as a standard word file. Looks like something from an ABBYY OCR package

TonyJollans
12-05-2005, 12:29 AM
Hi Ernie,

Before I forget my manners again, Welcome to VBAX!

I agree completely that you don't want to have your security set to Low, but there is a way round this.

I don't know what finereader6.sprint.dot is - it certainly isn't a standard part of Word - but if you trust it, you couls move it to a trusted location.

There are two startup locations for global templates in Word - one in the install root directory (where your template is at the moment) which is not trusted, and one of your own (see where under Tools > Options > File Locations tab > Startup) which is trusted. Templates in the trusted area can run even when security is set to High I think.

ernie2929
12-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the information and advice. I do have an ABBYY OCR package, which I haven't used for several months. I have chosen the easy option and de-installed it. Problem sorted (until I need to use OCR software...). I guess I could have just moved the macro file.....

Thanks also for the welcome. My first experience on this site has been very useful!

TonyJollans
12-05-2005, 04:18 PM
Glad we could help!