PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Transpose multiple rows, varied length, to a single column?

Commoner
06-10-2018, 02:44 PM
Hello, I would like to transpose multiple rows, varied length, to a single column. There are various worksheets and each sheet has a different number of rows. Each rows have a different number of used cells. Each sheet has data starting in Column B. I would like to be able to transpose all rows to a Column A.

For example Sheet 1 has -

R1A1
R1A2
R1A3
R1A4
R1A5

R2A1
R2A2
R2A3
R2A4

R3A1
R3A2
R3A3
R3A4
R3A5
R3A6
R3A7
R3A8

Desired result -

R1A1

R1A2

R1A3

R1A4

R1A5

R2A1

R2A2

R2A3

R2A4

R3A1

R3A2

R3A3

R3A4

R3A5

R3A6

R3A7

R3A8

The macro that I have found that can do this uses the same range for each row and therefore it pastes empty cells. I have hundreds of row in each sheet making the removal of the empty cells time consuming.

Thanks in advance for any help or tips

mancubus
06-10-2018, 11:21 PM
assuming all sheets in the workbook will be processed, and there are no blank cells in Col B, try this

Sub vbax_62930_merge_multi_rows_in_mono_col()

Dim w As Long, r As Long, c As Long

With Application
.ScreenUpdating = False
.DisplayAlerts = False
.EnableEvents = False
.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
End With

For w = 1 To Worksheets.Count
With Worksheets(w)
For r = 1 To .Cells(.Rows.Count, 2).End(xlUp).Row
For c = 2 To .Cells(r, .Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
.Cells(.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1).Value = .Cells(r, c).Value
Next c
Next r
End With
Next w

With Application
.EnableEvents = True
.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
End With

End Sub

Commoner
06-11-2018, 04:35 AM
assuming all sheets in the workbook will be processed, and there are no blank cells in Col B, try this

Thank you. That was perfect. It works very fast and it's far better than the macro I found elsewhere.

If I wanted to use it on a single worksheet in a workbook with multiple worksheets what needs to be changed?

mancubus
06-11-2018, 05:24 AM
you are welvome

please do not quote the whole messages. just refer to the related bit(s) where necessary.

Sub vbax_62930_merge_multi_rows_in_mono_col()

Dim w As Long, r As Long, c As Long

With Application
.ScreenUpdating = False
.DisplayAlerts = False
.EnableEvents = False
.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
End With

With Workbooks("MyOpenworkbookNameHere").Worksheets("MyDesiredWorksheetNameHere")
For r = 1 To .Cells(.Rows.Count, 2).End(xlUp).Row
For c = 2 To .Cells(r, .Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
.Cells(.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1).Value = .Cells(r, c).Value
Next c
Next r
End With

With Application
.EnableEvents = True
.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
End With

End Sub

PS:
Workbooks("MyOpenworkbookNameHere").Worksheets("MyDesiredWorksheetNameHere") => refers to a specific open workbook
ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("MyDesiredWorksheetNameHere") => refers to the active workbook in the window
ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("MyDesiredWorksheetNameHere") => refers to the workbook that contains the macro(s).

Commoner
06-11-2018, 10:05 AM
you are welvome

PS:
Workbooks("MyOpenworkbookNameHere").Worksheets("MyDesiredWorksheetNameHere") => refers to a specific open workbook
ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("MyDesiredWorksheetNameHere") => refers to the active workbook in the window
ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("MyDesiredWorksheetNameHere") => refers to the workbook that contains the macro(s).

Thank you. That helped me out a lot. Since I go to the worksheet before running the script I just tried With ActiveSheet which worked fine.

jolivanes
06-12-2018, 09:03 AM
Or with a little less looping. Might be slightly faster yet on a larger file.

Sub Try()
Dim i As Long, ii As Long
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
For i = 2 To Cells(Rows.Count, 2).End(xlUp).Row
ii = Cells(i, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1).Resize(ii - 1).Value = Application.Transpose(Range(Cells(i, 2), Cells(i, ii)).Value)
Next i
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub