PDA

View Full Version : Help needed: looping within loops

Lucky0683
06-29-2018, 03:25 AM
Hi,

I really appreciate your help in this as I am new to VBA. I have an Infopath form that basically stores data that users fill in, in XML format. Then, it will be passed to Excel to treat the data. Some data remains constant throughout e.g. Names and Date. However, as the form is trying to accommodate multiple transactions to be recorded within the same date, some data is unique to each transaction e.g. Price/Currency.

As such I am trying to create a code such that data that is unique to each transaction will be looped over from 1 to 10 (max amount of transactions that can be recorded within the same form) and they are now renamed as 'Price 1', 'Price 2' etc. All this while, data that is the same (e.g. name and date) still remains in the table and each transaction is saved into the Database before moving on to the next transaction's data. If there is no more transaction, the code should stop running.

When i click run, it prompts me for the name of the macro and does not run at all. I'm not sure how to go about editing it too. Will really appreciate your help. Thank you!

I have tried the following code:

Sub sub_inputData(dicData AsDictionary)
Dim ws As Worksheet: Set ws =ActiveSheet
Dim i As Integer
Dim j As Integer
Dim vTemp As Variant
Range("rInputStart").Parent.Calculate
vTemp =Range(Range("rInputStart").Offset(1),_
Range("rInputStart").End(xlDown).Offset(0,2)).value

Dim price as Long
Dim currency As String: currency = vbNullString
Dim exchangeRate as String: exchangeRate = vbNullString
Dim remark as String: remark = vbNullString

For j =1To10

price = price & dicData ("price" & CStr (j))&"|"
price = price ("rPriceManual").value 'and at this point, other functions will be called to convert the prices to different currencies etc,aslongas the prices are inserted into the table correctly

currency = currency & dicData("dl_currency"&CStr(j))&"|"
exchangeRate =(exchangeRate & dicData("exchange_rate"&CStr(j))&"|")/100
Remark= remark & dicData("remarks"&CStr(j))&"|"

For i =LBound(vTemp,1)ToUBound(vTemp,1)
If vTemp(i,1)="currency"And dicData(dl_currency)<> vbNullString Then
vTemp(i,3)= currency
End if
If vTemp (i,2) = "remark" then
vTemp(i,3)=Remark
EndIf
If vTemp(i,2)="exchangeRate"Then
vTemp(i,3)= exchangeRate
EndIf
Next i

Next j

End Sub

Bob Phillips
06-29-2018, 03:36 AM
It looks to me that your problem is that your subroutine requires a parameter value. You either need t get rid of it and find another way to get the parameter value, or have another sub that set the dictionary and passes it to your sub.

Paul_Hossler
06-29-2018, 08:16 AM
You can't run a sub (via F5 or Alt-F8) if it requires a parameter

p45cal
06-30-2018, 06:24 AM
Before anyone spends significant time on this one, be aware that this has been cross posted to at least 3 other sites.

Lucky0683
07-01-2018, 06:34 PM
I'm so sorry, didn't mean to cross-post as I am really anxious to rope in other experts' help. So sorry about that.

Paul_Hossler
07-02-2018, 07:50 AM
Posting in other forums is fine, but they (like VBAexpress) just like to know if you posted other places

Look at the link from #4 in my sig