PDA

View Full Version : Preventing internet access by Word

TheAntiGates
12-06-2005, 11:11 AM
I am hoping for help with these 2 issues by a simple configuration change, but a NORMAL.DOT code solution is okay too.

1. If I am browsing, Select All, copy, open Word, open new document, paste, and save, I get something that appears to want to [slowly] open every single link, every single time I open the file. While I salute the dumb****s at Microsoft Development for sticking this behavior down my throat, can someone please tell me how to defeat the behavior?

2. Bonus request: when one such document first opens, focus is initially on a ... I suppose it is a textbox? ... which is technically a Table row. The thing is, a Control Toolbox toolbar automatically opens every time I open this document. While again I thank the self-opined gods at M.S. Development for assuming what the user wants and stuffing it down his throat ... can this "auto toolbar" behavior be defeated?!

I am an .HTML novice but can "Cut" objects pretty well, and I generally start slashing away as soon as I get into Word. Most of the irritation from 1. and 2. is resolved this way. I just hoped for something less primitive and more direct.

Thanks, good guys on the side of usefulness and productivity!:thumb

mdmackillop
12-18-2005, 06:00 AM
Hi,
This is not something I've encountered and it doesn't look like anyone has a solution for you, but maybe if you find one you could post it.
Regards
MD

TheAntiGates
12-18-2005, 06:22 AM
Thanks for acknowledging the post. It's happened for years on every machine I've had so I find it hard to believe that no one sees it. The problem is that .DOCs which should take less than one second to load ... take 10-15 or more.

lucas
12-18-2005, 08:52 AM
If your not interested in the pictures and just want the text from the web page you can try this:

Sub PasteSpec()

Selection.PasteSpecial Link:=False, DataType:=wdPasteText

End Sub

If I want to save a web page with pictures I usually copy and paste it into Frontpage.....

TheAntiGates
12-18-2005, 11:55 AM
(Obviously, I meant pastes, not loads, in last post.)

I went Ctrl-A on this very page, Ctrl-C, opened Word and hit Ctrl-V. 10 seconds later my firewall asked if winword.exe can go to vbaexpress.com(I said no). Then it locked (hourglass) for over 30 seconds before yielding control. This is plain wrong. But hey, hitting "undo" took 24 seconds. A new Ctrl-V then took 53 seconds. Wtf gives?

But at least your suggestion delivered as advertised, lucas. So I sacrificed Ctrl-Shift-V to have it in normal.dot, and I'll try to be careful and remember not to paste regularly. Thanks!

By the way, why would I do this - and why not use an .HTML editor? One reason is because you often can't see where an IE Ctrl-F lands, but it's clear in Word. Occasionally the text is just invisible (e.g. white on white) in IE. Then frequently I want to print an excerpt of a page (e.g. without banner, or just the map from e.g. mapquest), so I don't need to directly operate on the HTML - just cut a few text and graphics. The fact is, these things only take microseconds to accomplish in Word ONCE it pastes. (It's also a terrific way to stretch that map for printing - so I don't have to read size 2 font while on the road.)

So pasting text is doesn't solve everything, but it's something, and it beats pasting to Notepad. Thanks for the suggestion.

lucas
12-18-2005, 12:07 PM
But at least your suggestion delivered as advertised, lucas. So I sacrificed Ctrl-Shift-V to have it in normal.dot, and I'll try to be careful and remember not to paste regularly. Thanks!

I forgot and pasted several times before I got used to it. :doh:

MOS MASTER
12-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Hi, :yes

I'm glad to see pasting plane text solves some of your problems whit Words behaviour of pasting in HTML by default.

Your question was if you can prevent Internet Acess by Word has to be answered negative! You simply can't!! (yes you can off course take out the network cable...) :*)

But Word will always have a hyperlink feature to browse towards your HD/Internet and othere stuff...

IMO the pasting sollution is the best one. You could of course add a new button to your toolbar to put in a Macro that could take care of it for yah. (or drag the paste special button from the customize edit section to your toolbar.)

Enjoy! :whistle:

Gabor
05-14-2006, 09:24 AM
Hi all,
This is an old thread which I have come accross jut now.
Recently I have found a great macro which solves the above problem easily.

How to convert the hyperlinks in a document to plain text

Article contributed by Dave Rado, with acknowledgements to Ibby and Jonathan West Jonathan's web site

Sub GetRidOfHlinks()

Dim oHlink As Hyperlink, i As Long

For i = ActiveDocument.Hyperlinks.Count To 1 Step -1
ActiveDocument.Hyperlinks(i).Delete
Next i

End Sub

http://word.mvps.org/FAQS/MacrosVBA/DeleteHyperlinks.htm
I home you will find it as useful as myself.
Gabor

Gabor
05-14-2006, 09:25 AM
Hi all,
This is an old thread which I have come accross just now.
Recently I have found a great macro which solves the above problem easily.

How to convert the hyperlinks in a document to plain text

Article contributed by Dave Rado, with acknowledgements to Ibby and Jonathan West Jonathan's web site

Sub GetRidOfHlinks()

Dim oHlink As Hyperlink, i As Long

For i = ActiveDocument.Hyperlinks.Count To 1 Step -1
ActiveDocument.Hyperlinks(i).Delete
Next i

End Sub

http://word.mvps.org/FAQS/MacrosVBA/DeleteHyperlinks.htm
I hope you will find it as useful as myself.
Gabor

Gabor
05-14-2006, 09:27 AM
sorry, must have clicked save too many time

TheAntiGates
05-14-2006, 09:28 PM
Thank you. It doesn't stop the links from firing upon pasting into Word, for which I use
Selection.PasteSpecial Link:=False, DataType:=wdPasteText
but I'm glad you posted it and the link. Thank you for sharing it.