PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Struggling with Countifs formula

mykal66
09-14-2018, 12:03 AM
Hi folks

I am really struggling with what should be an easy formula but I cannot get to work. I have worksheet with 4 columns (example attached) and need a countifs formula to look at outstanding work. When struggling with countifs I usually create separate formulas and then string them together but this time the separate components work but will not string together!

In the example the first formula counts the instances ofapples and gives the answer 4 which is correct, the second then look for anytext cells in column C and returns the answer 2 which is correct and the thirdlook for blank cells in column d and return the answer 3 which is alsocorrect. The combined formula shouldcount matches in column A, with any text in column C and not marked as competedin column D (ie blank) so should return an answer of 1 in this example but it doesn’t!
Any help or advice as to why or what I have done wrong greatlyappreciated.
Thank you as always
Mykal

p45cal
09-14-2018, 08:33 AM
try:
=COUNTIFS(A1:A10,A1,C1:C10,"*",D1:D10,"<>done")

mykal66
09-14-2018, 09:16 AM
Thank you, I had tried that but it constantly returned a zero answer. I have been playing all afternoon and literally figured it out 30 mins ago. this is how I used it in my live document: For some reason I had to count non blanks first, then status and finally match it to the criteria!!!!

=COUNTIFS('Sep 18'!$C$4:$C$300,"<>"&"",'Sep 18'!$D$4:$D$300,"Open",'Sep 18'!$A$4:$A$300,C5)

Thank you again

mykal66
09-14-2018, 09:17 AM
Thank you, I had tried that but it constantly returned a zero answer. I have been playing all afternoon and literally figured it out 30 mins ago. this is how I used it in my live document: For some reason I had to count non blanks first, then status and finally match it to the criteria!!!!

=COUNTIFS('Sep 18'!$C$4:$C$300,"<>"&"",'Sep 18'!$D$4:$D$300,"Open",'Sep 18'!$A$4:$A$300,C5)

Thank you again