PDA

View Full Version : Excel/VBA app hangs up temporarily when tabbing past last unlocked cell

SkipperSteve
09-14-2018, 09:30 PM
I have an Excel/VBA app that consistently hangs up for 30-60 seconds when I tab past the last unlocked cell on the sheet

Here are some of the details:

- the behaviour is consistent; when the sheet is locked there are a few unlocked cells for data entry that I can tab through. when I tab past the last unlocked entry cell, Excel hangs up, most the sheet disappears or greys-out, all that displays are the Active-X controls

- this "hang" lasts anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes but generally comes back without having to restart Excel (should I happen to be that patient)

- this issue does not happen when the sheet is unlocked, or at least I have not managed to find a way to make this happen when sheet is unlocked

- the app contains a few ActiveX buttons, scrollbars, and combo-box controls which are critical to the app functions, though I *could* use standard (non AX) form controls if that is the only way to fix this

- most of the app logic, including some calculations and formatting, is in VBA; I have tested the VBA code to see if it is hanging up in a specific module and at this point I don't think that is the issue

- when I am looking at the Windows Task Manager during the application hang, I will see CPU jump to ~30% utilization so it appears Excel is doing something

- also, Windows Task Manager will sometimes show a secondary "Print Driver Host ..." process running under the master Microsoft Excel task even though I am not printing; I have already set "Microsoft print to XPS" as the selected printer

- I have tried saving this as Excel Binary format, that doesn't fix the problem

- I found an article on a Microsoft support forum that applied a fix for "problem - 1619" (or something similar) and that did not make any difference

- this issue is consistent across my three machines, all Win10 x64 / Office 2013 x32, plus three other machines (not mine) that are Win7 or Win10 / Office 2013 x32

I am getting a headache from bouncing my head off my desk and appreciate any help you can provide, will be happy to send the XLSM to anyone that wants to see it.

THANK YOU!

werafa
09-17-2018, 03:13 AM
Does it occur if you set calculation to manual?
what about disabling sheet events?

Paul_Hossler
09-17-2018, 09:34 AM
, will be happy to send the XLSM to anyone that wants to see it.

Just post it here -- #2 in my sig