PDA

View Full Version : need macro to update Master Calendar file copying data from numerous identical files.

amrendon70
09-28-2018, 08:27 AM
Hi everyone! I am newto VBA and trying to learn it as I find things that need to be more efficient. I’ve been viewing tutorials on youtube andfollowed a step-by-step video to create a calendar in Excel that willautomatically update the dates when you enter data in cell B1 with the monthyou want to see on the calendar.
The problem:
I currently send the blank calendar file for a given monthto my team so that they can each request leave by entering their name, type ofleave (2letter code) and total hours (1 digit) in a cell corresponding to theblock/date they’d like to request. When eachemployee completes the request, he/she returns the file to me and I save allthe files in the same folder. (filename= 01employeename.xls, 02employee name.xls,etc) Then I manually update a master file with all the requests from eachemployee. Currently, there are 20 employees on my team. UGGGH! YES, it’s time-consuming and I hate it. L

Here’s where I needhelp:
I would like to be able to run some sort of macro in the ‘MasterCalendar’ file that would read through all the employee files in that folderand append each leave request entry from the employee files into the MasterCalendar. There may be times when multiple employees ask for same day and I wouldneed for the Master Calendar to reflect that. So, as each file is read and dataappended to the Master Calendar, new data should appear in next availablerow/cell for each day. I hope this makessense.
Can anyone help with this? Would this be something too difficult for anewbie to take on? If you can providecode for this request that would be awesome…but since I’m trying to learn VBA…I wouldappreciate info on your thought process for creating it. OR, if someone knowsof a tutorial out there that would help me create this, I’d appreciate thattoo. Thank y’all so much for your time!

Attaching calendar I created. It’s nothing to brag about, but It’s myfirst. :D