PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Save email attachment and prefix with part of email subject

Cris
10-24-2018, 02:23 AM
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

I have been given a piece of code for saving an attachment to a local folder if the email is moved into a specific folder in outlook. I've seen similar code on this forum so that may be where they got it from in the first place; if so, all credit goes to them.

Option Explicit
Dim WithEvents TargetFolderItems As Items

Const FILE_PATH As String = "\\tcc-fileserver\data extracts$\Engage Hub\"

Private Sub Application_Startup()

Dim ns As Outlook.NameSpace

Set ns = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI")
Set TargetFolderItems = ns.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox).Folders("Extracts").Items

End Sub

Sub TargetFolderItems_ItemAdd(ByVal Item As Object)

Dim olAtt As Attachment
Dim i As Integer

If Item.Attachments.Count > 0 Then
For i = 1 To Item.Attachments.Count
Set olAtt = Item.Attachments(i)
olAtt.SaveAsFile FILE_PATH & olAtt.FileName
Next
End If

Set olAtt = Nothing

End Sub

Private Sub Application_Quit()

Dim ns As Outlook.NameSpace
Set TargetFolderItems = Nothing
Set ns = Nothing

End Sub

What I would ideally like to do is:

Move all emails which contain EngageHub to a specific folder in Outlook (Inbox/Extracts). I can do this with rules if it is not worth doing in VBA
Prefix the attachment name with the beginning of the Email Subject (the Email subject will contain the group name which will usually be formatted as GroupName1_EngageHub_ddMMyyyy. The attachment is usually just called EngageHub_ddMMyyyy.
Download the attachment to a local folder ("\\tcc-fileserver\data extracts$\Engage Hub"). The above code can do this for me.

My main issue is referencing the Outlook message subject. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gmayor
10-24-2018, 09:33 PM
The following should work, subject to there being no illegal filename characters in the groupname.

olAtt.SaveAsFile FILE_PATH & Split(Item.Subject, "_")(0) & "_" & olAtt.fileName

Cris
10-25-2018, 02:44 AM
Thanks Graham. Works perfectly.
Is there any way to reference the time that the email was created in the filename as well? For example GroupName1_EngageHub_[Date message created]?

Cris
10-25-2018, 02:51 AM
Nevermind, found this out myself (Item.CreationTime). Thanks for your help!