PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Quick question on Filter

joelle
12-12-2005, 04:13 PM
Hello Experts -- Hope your wkend was awsome!

About my question, so far, I can only do 2 basic criteria to filter any cell under col D that:
1. has a value >0, or,
2. has a value of "yes", then, will show entire row.

It'd be fantastic if I can include 3 criteria instead of 2, as shows:
1. has a value >0, or ,
2. has a value of "yes", or,
3. has a value of "ok", then, will show entire row.

it'd superfantastic if you can also help translate this command to a vba line!

Many many thanks.

Nee

Zack Barresse
12-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Hello Nee,

Not going to happen with [current] native Excel functionality. A workaround is to use a helper column to use a formula to check for a condition, then filter on that column.

joelle
12-12-2005, 04:40 PM
Hello Zack,

Very quick write-back -- thanks a lot.
And yes, you said what I'm afraid of. I mean, thats something we cant do in "native" excel ..
Thanks anyway for the quick attention. Enjoy your day!

Best regards,
Nee

Zack Barresse
12-12-2005, 04:41 PM
No problem. If you need help returning a boolean-type formula for another column, post back. :)

joelle
12-12-2005, 04:50 PM
Hello Zack,

I'm here again, not for the boolean (would like something simpler for this project), but
any idea if "Advanced filter" can do the job? Never used this though.
If advanced filter can handle 3 criteria, would you mind land me a hand? - I know you wouldnt :):)
Actually I tried the "advanced filter" but I dont know how to use it. Quite shallow right?

Thanks so much,
Nee

Zack Barresse
12-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Sure you can Nee. I think it really depends on how you have your data structure. I've attached an example file where I have performed this using Advanced Filter. There are three worksheets, one with original data, one with an Advanced Filter performed - copied to another location, and one with an Advanced Filter performed - filter in place.

Headers have to match and must be included in data range.

Oh, and it's far from being shallow my friend. :)

joelle
12-12-2005, 06:40 PM
Hello Zack,

So many thanks. I appreciate your help and cant wait to try your example ( 1st thing in the morning. I have stared at my spreadsheet for hours but have to go home now to cook chinese (yum - wanna try my skill - well this in no shallow :) :) )
Talk to you tomorrow (sounds scary?)

Gd nite,
Nee

Zack Barresse
12-13-2005, 12:49 AM
Hmmm, making me hungry now! LOL!

Take your time, enjoy life. Let us know if you would like anything else with this. :yes

joelle
12-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Gd Morning Everyone,

Zack: Awesome! I twissed the headers/data a bit and your method works nicely. I feel so appreciative when opening your example spreadsheet. So kind/sweet of you.

Thanks for once again putting off the fire.

Warm regards,
Nee