PDA

View Full Version : Can't exit design mode...

wnazzaro
12-14-2005, 08:26 AM
We have a form here at work that opens in design mode and on opening an error message pops up: "Can't exit design mode because Control 'Label10' can not be created" It does have a Document_Open event that seems not to be able to run, because the form is in design mode.

I found this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;166784 article which seems to address the problem, however I still can't fix it. We are using Word 2002.

One of the resolutions is: "Open your Normal.dot, access the control, and then save and close the Normal.dot template." What does it mean to access the control? I have tried deleting the label and re-creating it, to no avail. All help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

Killian
12-14-2005, 11:45 AM
I've not come across this before but if your work are ok with you posting the document (or PM/email), I could have a dig at it.

wnazzaro
12-14-2005, 12:12 PM
I probably shouldn't attach the files, as I'm sure they are proprietary. This is more of a learning exercise than a needed fix. The company is moving away from this form next year and I had some free time so I wanted to see if I could figure out what was failing. Thanks anyway.

fumei
12-14-2005, 07:23 PM
Can you at least describe what occurs in Document_Open?

Is this really from normal.dot, or from another template?

wnazzaro
12-15-2005, 07:44 AM
Public Sub Document_Open()

Dim cmb As Object

title = "Help Text - People Perfomance Process"
MsgBox title, vbOKOnly
With ActiveWindow
.View.TableGridlines = False
.View.FieldShading = wdFieldShadingNever
End With

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

For Each cmb In ThisDocument.InlineShapes
If cmb.OLEFormat.ClassType = "Forms.ComboBox.1" Then
With cmb.OLEFormat.Object
.AddItem " "
.AddItem "Outstanding"
.AddItem "Exceeds expectations and targets"
.AddItem "Meets expectations and targets"
.AddItem "Approaches expectations and targets"
.AddItem "Does not meet expectations and targets"
.AddItem "Not Applicable"
End With
End If
Next

ActiveDocument.ShowSpellingErrors = False
Options.UpdateFieldsAtPrint = True

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

It's not from Normal.dot but an added template named Service.dot

MOS MASTER
12-18-2005, 04:38 PM
Hi, :)

I've seen this error before and it was in a document whit over 500 ActiveX-controls.

Somewhere one of the controls or other document elements got corrupted and I can't remember if I got the problem solved or not. (I think by rebuilding parts of it but am not sure)

But a large number of ActiveX-controls is always a heavy load for Word to process and takes up tons of time to open. (and is therefore worth rethinking the design)

HTH, :whistle:

fumei
12-18-2005, 09:20 PM
Anything with 500+ ActiveX controls DEFINITELY requires rethinking design. That is ridiculous. Totally silly.