PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to reduce file open time and screen flicker (with custom RibbonXML)

nikki333
01-06-2019, 11:22 AM
Hi folks

So I've got this workbook with an additional custom tab inserted in the ribbon via XML (CustomUI Editor) for each worksheet.

This works quite well, but when opening the file, it takes a few seconds accompanied by some screen flicker, ribbon turing white...; and I'd like to make the user experience more smooth.

A copy of the ribbon XML code is located in the module "mod7RibbonX" in the attached file, in case that's helpful.

Any ideas to optimize?

Cheers

Paul_Hossler
01-06-2019, 11:50 AM
I run with "Show Add In errors" and it flagged you're setting the QAT in the CustomUI but not in StartFromScratch

I deleted that part of the CustomUI, and I didn't notice any objectional flicker, so see if that helps

nikki333
01-07-2019, 01:40 PM
Hi Paul

Many thanks for your reply. I've had no idea about this error...that is great input. So I've deleted the QAT part and it seems a tiny bit faster now.

However, on opening, the file still goes into "Not responding" for part of a second with a white ribbon. The file I've posted lacked the Workbook Open Event (sorry, my bad).

So I guess that I've put some code in there that slows it down. I'd be happy to get some feedback, if you find the time of course.

What I don't understand is the cascade of events between the ribbon load and the workbook_open event

Cheers Ted