PDA

View Full Version : Database Object Size

jauner
12-16-2005, 07:50 AM
Is there a way to determine what size database onjects are?

The reason is because I have an split access database that is 25 mb and I am not sure why it is that big. I do not have any pictures stored in the database. The only thing I really have a lot of is reports. There are 110 of them.

OBP
12-18-2005, 03:48 AM
Have you Compacted and Repaired the database?

jauner
12-20-2005, 10:44 AM
Yes I have and right now I am trying to eliminate unneeded fields in queries and forms. Not sure if that will help the overall size though

matthewspatrick
12-20-2005, 11:41 AM
The number of fields in queries should not have an impact--after all, Access stores only the SQL statements for queries.

That is one whopping huge number of reports, though, and it would not surprise me if that is driving a lot of it. If those reports have lots of controls, or have graphics, stuff adds up. Plus, each report may have a code module. The forms supporting those reports will have controls, and modules.

I do not know if Access exhibits the same behaviors, but in Excel, if you repeatedly add and then delete items related to the VBProject, the file size can grow, sometimes quite dramatically. In the process of developing all those reports, it would not surprise me if you had to do a number of false starts, and the vestiges of such may be lingering on...

I would try the following:

1) Copy the objects to a brand new, empty MDB file and see how the size turns out and

2) Try to rationalize the number of reports. With 110, I suspect that many of those reports are in fact the same reports with very tiny variations in things like selection criteria. In such cases, it is usually possible to have a small number of reports that have their RecordSource or other properties dynamically determined in code at runtime.