PDA

View Full Version : check a cell to see if it has a currency code

crmpicco
12-16-2005, 08:09 AM
i am looking for a function that will check a cell to see if it has a currency code (e.g. GBP) inside it.

http://vbaexpress.com/forum/images/smilies/118.gif

Bob Phillips
12-16-2005, 08:37 AM
i am looking for a function that will check a cell to see if it has a currency code (e.g. GBP) inside it.

http://vbaexpress.com/forum/images/smilies/118.gif

Any currency code? Is it in the cell or just part of format?

crmpicco
12-16-2005, 08:45 AM
the text in the cell shows 37.00 GBP
the value in the cell shows 37

crmpicco
12-16-2005, 08:58 AM
yes its for ANY currency code, thanks

Bob Phillips
12-16-2005, 09:47 AM
yes its for ANY currency code, thanks

Therefore it must be format, so how do you use format to have other currency codes. I can see how to add one, or maybe two if it were value dependent.

You would need VBA to check if the numberformat contained GBP or the other possibilities. Doi you have a list of those on the spreadsheet?

What are you trying to do, there may be a better way.

mvidas
12-16-2005, 10:38 AM
You can send the cell to the VarType function in vb, and currency is vartype 6. It doesn't recognize the GBP type cells, but there is a list in the Format Cells window, under the "Symbol" listbox for the Currency type. You may have to check for those in the cell.text using regex, and see if the cell.value is numeric.

crmpicco
12-19-2005, 02:50 AM
If VarType(Range(sFareRange).Text) Then
Range(sFareRange).Interior.ColorIndex = iColour
Exit For
End If
using varType here, but it doesnt seem to work?

mvidas
12-19-2005, 06:11 AM
VarType is definately less than ideal, but the way you'd use it like this is: If VarType(Range(sFareRange).Text) = 6 ThenThough I think you'd be better off making a user defined function (only define what can be currency for you), likeFunction IsCurrency(ByVal TheCell As Range) As Boolean
If VarType(TheCell) = 6 Then '6 = vbCurrency
IsCurrency = True
Exit Function
End If
If IsNumeric(TheCell.Value) Then
If Left(TheCell.Text, 1) = "$" Or Left(TheCell.Text, 1) = "?" Or _
InStr(1, TheCell.Text, "GBP") > 0 Then
IsCurrency = True
Exit Function
End If
End If
End FunctionThat way all you'd have to do is something likeIf IsCurrency(Range(sFareRange)) = 6 ThenMatt