PDA

View Full Version : Unable to View XLS File Created in Office 365

Ken1000
02-06-2019, 06:32 AM
Hi. From a computer which has Office 365 (Windows 10), I have saved an Excel file in the XLS format (Excel 97-2003). The file has a few simple macros which work on the Office 365 computer perfectly. (And there is no compatibility issue/alert when the saving of the file.)

My problem is when I copy the same saved XLS file onto a Windows 8 computer which only has Excel 2003, it works to open the file, generates no errors, yet the file is never seen with its contents. The Worksheet is never visible. I cannot see the individual worksheets. I see the standard File Menu structure, etc. Through ALT_F11, I can even view the macros in the XLS file. And none of the sheets are hidden in any way. Each sheet is set to xlVisible. And there are no passwords involved.

I don't know why this has happened recently. There have been no changes to either one of the involved computers.

I welcome any advice/directions as to how to solve this, so that I can safely save the file to the XLS format, and use it.

By the way the computer which has only EXcel 2003 cannot be upgraded to anymore recent version of Office.

Thank you very much for your help.

Have a great day.

Ken

Jan Karel Pieterse
02-06-2019, 09:47 AM
Window, Unhide perhaps?

p45cal
02-06-2019, 09:51 AM
I have a laptop with only Excel 2003 on (but it's running Win XP), I could try to open it on that machine and explore what might be wrong… the only thing is, you'd need to upload that file here (or one like it which behaves in the same way).

Ken1000
02-06-2019, 10:12 AM
Window, Unhide perhaps?

Thank you, both Jan and p45cal.

I did some quick research and the issue may be the FileFormat in which I am saving the intended XLS File format. Currently, I have

FileExtStr = ".xls": FileFormatNum = -4143

But I think things may work better if I change the code line to

FileExtStr = ".xls": FileFormatNum = 56

From what I can tell, "56" is the FileFormat Number specifically for Excel 2003.

See Excel list on the link below.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/api/excel.xlfileformat

Anyway, I will test things again later tonight to see what works or not.

God bless you all!!!

Ken

Jan Karel Pieterse
02-07-2019, 01:53 AM
Good catch Ken.

Ken1000
02-07-2019, 07:56 AM
Update ...

My supposed solution DID NOT WORK. Altering the code to FileExtStr = ".xls": FileFormatNum = 56, and re-saving still does not allow the saved XLS file to be usable on the computer with Excel 2003.

As a side note, the saved XLS file can be seen and used on both Office 365 and Excel 2010 enabled computers, but not the one with Excel 2003.

In the computer with Excel 2003, none of the sheets are visible. The workbook does not show. No errors are generated when opening the file. Yet when accessing VBA (via ALT F11), I can see all the worksheet objects. Every Sheet is set to Visible. The macro code is intact. Very puzzling.

And no matter how I save the file from the Office 365 computer - either manually (through File menu), or by using VBA code, the same issue/result happens.

A WORK_AROUND. I ran the saved XLS file through Libre Office, and re-saved it in Microsoft Office 2003 format. Now, all the sheets are visible and usable on the Office 2003 computer. Why Office 365 yields a file that cannot be seen on the Excel 2003 system, I do not know.

So, I suggest downloading this freeware - Libre Office - as a potential tool for "back-up", trouble-shooting, etc.

Thank all of you again. Perhaps this thread will help someone out there.

Enjoy a great day.

Ken

Jan Karel Pieterse
02-07-2019, 09:54 AM
What happens if you open the xls in 2003 and select Window, Arrange, Tiled?

Ken1000
02-07-2019, 10:23 AM
Hi, Jan. I don't know, but I'll give this a try also, later this evening. Thank you so much for the idea.

Ken

Ken1000
02-08-2019, 08:12 AM
I tried Jan's idea mentioned above and still unable to see the sheets on the XLS created file.

Oh, well.

I consider this thread now closed.

Thanks again.

Ken

Jan Karel Pieterse
02-08-2019, 09:32 AM
Can you select ThisWorkbook in the VBE and check the IsAdd-in property value?
It should be set to False.

Ken1000
02-08-2019, 10:13 AM
Already tried that as well, Jan. Thanks, though.

Ken