PDA

View Full Version : Data recovery - Hard disk

matrix4444
12-19-2005, 04:13 AM
Hi guys need your help on this,

A couple of month ago, my company was faced major power supply failure and most of the computer was improper shut down. Due to the impact my portable hard disk end up with data crash and unable to detect by Operating system. I did try some method that I know, but none of the method prevails. I believe bad sector had take place in my hard disk so I seek for data recovery center, they say it can be recover but the price they charge is almost killing people. I decided to look for some other facility that I can afford for the service.

Without giving up (3 year work data was in the hard disk) I carry on my searching. As a result, I had met a person (my friend cousin) who giving me such promising word as he can do the job pretty well. He is actually from IT background and willing to help me on retrieving the data. Finally he has succeeded to retrieve the data as promise but the word ?helping? ends with $500.00.

I?m quit disappointed when the word ?Help? ends with $500.00. But anyhow I manage to get the data and the hard disk (the hard disk was stored back to default) back as well. I did ask him as how does he perform and what is the data retrieving method for the simple case of hard disk crash.

He did not want to share with me, perhaps he want to make business. But he did give me some clue such, we need the data recovery software and the firmware of the hard disk to perform data recovery and restore to default (no bad sector or repair bad sector)

Thank you,

PS :banghead:

Bob Phillips
12-19-2005, 04:59 AM
I have no idea how to do it personally, hardware is not my game, but you should have established up-front if there was a cost involved.

The other guyt probably spent some time on it and rightly expects payment (although he also hsould have told you there was a cost).

Best advice I can give is set yourself a maximum pric e you are willing to pay, and negotiate with him.

Zack Barresse
12-19-2005, 10:52 AM
If there wasn't anything bargained for up front and it was termed "helping" then your friend is SOL. That is if you don't want to pay them. At least this is how it would be in the US. And that's not stating any moral or ethical claims either.

Howard Kaikow
12-19-2005, 03:55 PM
Hi guys need your help on this,

A couple of month ago, my company was faced major power supply failure and most of the computer was improper shut down. Due to the impact my portable hard disk end up with data crash and unable to detect by Operating system. I did try some method that I know, but none of the method prevails. I believe bad sector had take place in my hard disk so I seek for data recovery center, they say it can be recover but the price they charge is almost killing people. I decided to look for some other facility that I can afford for the service.

Without giving up (3 year work data was in the hard disk) I carry on my searching. As a result, I had met a person (my friend cousin) who giving me such promising word as he can do the job pretty well. He is actually from IT background and willing to help me on retrieving the data. Finally he has succeeded to retrieve the data as promise but the word ?helping? ends with $500.00.

I?m quit disappointed when the word ?Help? ends with $500.00. But anyhow I manage to get the data and the hard disk (the hard disk was stored back to default) back as well. I did ask him as how does he perform and what is the data retrieving method for the simple case of hard disk crash.

He did not want to share with me, perhaps he want to make business. But he did give me some clue such, we need the data recovery software and the firmware of the hard disk to perform data recovery and restore to default (no bad sector or repair bad sector)

Thank you,

PS :banghead:

The techniques for recovery depend on how badly damaged is the drive.
The only reliable way is to use a well know data recovery firm, such as www.ontrack.com. Ontrack has offices in several countries.

In some cases, one needs special hardware, and, in the worst case, a special "clean room".

Yes, it's expensive.
Too bad, that's the price one pays for not having proper backup.

Note: I once had to resort to using Ontrack. It was worth every penny.
Indeed, as the drive was still underwarranty, the drive manufacturer REQUIRED that I use OnTrack.

matrix4444
12-20-2005, 12:18 AM
I have no idea how to do it personally, hardware is not my game, but you should have established up-front if there was a cost involved.

The other guyt probably spent some time on it and rightly expects payment (although he also hsould have told you there was a cost).

Best advice I can give is set yourself a maximum pric e you are willing to pay, and negotiate with him.

Hi guys,

Yes I agreed, negotiate or up-front the cost involved will be the good idea. But still I?m quite curious as how does he do. It might be easy but we do not know the method or it might be difficult as what been highlighted by Howard, the damages is base on how much it has damaged.

Usually hard failure such controller board, spinning motor or head is malfunction will cost lot of money but loosing quite a amount for the soft failure is not worth it. As far as I know, most of the electronics hardware should have 2 operating mode. One is end-user mode and another is manufacturing mode. Usually manufacturing mode is use by manufacturer to diagnosis or troubleshoots soft failure. He might know the door for the manufacturing mode because all the way his only able to retrieve the data for the hard disk fall under soft failure (System file crash, unable to detect NTFS or FAT32).

PS:dunno

Howard Kaikow
12-20-2005, 05:26 AM
Hi guys,

Yes I agreed, negotiate or up-front the cost involved will be the good idea. But still I?m quite curious as how does he do. It might be easy but we do not know the method or it might be difficult as what been highlighted by Howard, the damages is base on how much it has damaged.

Usually hard failure such controller board, spinning motor or head is malfunction will cost lot of money but loosing quite a amount for the soft failure is not worth it. As far as I know, most of the electronics hardware should have 2 operating mode. One is end-user mode and another is manufacturing mode. Usually manufacturing mode is use by manufacturer to diagnosis or troubleshoots soft failure. He might know the door for the manufacturing mode because all the way his only able to retrieve the data for the hard disk fall under soft failure (System file crash, unable to detect NTFS or FAT32).

PS:dunno

If there is no physical damage to a drive, then the techniques involve finding the file structure information and stepping thru the sectors of the drive to reconstruct things.

If there's hardware damage, then expensive, special equipment has to be used.

In the worst case, a drive is pulled apart and each of its platters is put on a special machine that simulates the drive spinning, then the info is retrieved, if possible.

In my case, I was lucky, a power glitch made the drive unusable, but ALL data was retrieved. So, in my case, the platters were not bad. All they had to do was put the platters in a machine that simulated the spinning drive and grab the data as if the drive were still good.

THis was back in the daze of using a 1.2GB drive. Cost was about $465, including media. First the sent me CD-ROM with the files, but my old CD-ROM drive could not read the CD, so they ten sent me TR-$ tapes using the same backup software I had. Very smooth process.

I was in this predicament because I had not yet purchased Win 95 native backup software, so I was still faking things with Win 3.1 software. A worthwhile lesson: Do NOT provrastinate, get appropriate backup software right away.

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal recently that described how a particular company realized how much it would cost to reconstruct their data (losing business for at least a week), so the paid OnTrack to retrieve the data.

Note that Ontrack did this remotely, never physically having the media. Task was done overnight and cost as I recall either $13000 or $20000.