PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Excel and splwow64.exe issues

nikki333
04-13-2019, 01:45 PM
Hi folks

Recently I'm running into excel gets non-responsive issues. When looking at the wait chain in the task manager, i find the entry splwow64.exe that is non-responsive, and apparently never is going to be after that. This causes my macro to freeze and wait forever. Apparently this is related to printing, but I'm not even trying to pring anything. Any ideas to stop this rogue behaviour?

Paul_Hossler
04-13-2019, 03:23 PM
Make sure that you have a good default printer selected, and that it's printer driver is up to date

Just an idea

Logit
04-13-2019, 04:18 PM
https://windowstechies.com/-/en/filename/?t=1&k=splwow64.exe&m=b&u=&c=55870289310&file=splwow64.exe&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInKeDhpnO4QIVDNlkCh3iVg2yEAAYAiAAEgIkgPD_BwE

http://compinfopro.com/fix-splwow64-error-open-office-apps/

https://www.exefiles.com/en/exe/splwow64-exe/

Microsoft website has a ton of suggestions. Go to the SUPPORT section and search for splwow64.exe error

nikki333
05-28-2019, 06:02 AM
Thanks for your suggestions. Meanwhile I'm not sure if splwow64.exe is even involved at that point!? The task manager says Excel is waiting for Network i/o and that splwow64.exe is running fine. At that point CPU is over 50%.

What I noticed is that it often (but not exclusively) happens on sheets with Worksheet_Change Events (they have events disabled at the beginning and reenabled at the end). Deleting a whole row for example can make it freeze for anything between a few seconds to hours.

I have a few Doevents spread in the code. Could that be an issue?

Logit
05-28-2019, 08:21 AM

I have a few Doevents spread in the code. Could that be an issue?

Difficult to say. What happens if you disable those lines of code ?

Paul_Hossler
05-28-2019, 10:36 AM
As you said, SPLWOW64 is related to printing.

I've found that even if you're not actually printing, Excel still seems to want to "read" the printer metrics (Print Preview, Page Layout, etc.)

If your default printer is not available or on a network, that might cause issues

Logit
05-28-2019, 12:04 PM
Thanks Paul >>>

I don't recall the specific details but somewhere on this Forum or another someone was having a similar issue.
They too didn't have a default printer selected. The issue disappeared after selecting a printer.

Hopefully his issue will vaporize as well.

nikki333
05-30-2019, 12:46 PM
Thanks for your replies.

I'm still sleepless due to this issue. I've now set my printer to Microsoft XPS, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. It is still waiting for splwow64.exe. What's also weird is that as soon as I open the waiting chain in the task manager it stops from freezing. Anyways, as far as I understood, splwow64.exe is supposed to translate between 64-bit systems and 32-bit apps. But, I'm running a 64 bit windows and 64 bit office, so why would it get involved?

Titule
01-09-2021, 11:16 AM
Interesting thread, unfortunately no resolution...

How was the problem solved?

zattirizort
10-28-2022, 07:24 AM
dude i have the same problem and i couldn't find the solution how did you solve it? thank you.