PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Help to generate a subtotaled report

harshajayatunge
08-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Hi all, This is the first problem I am posting in this forum and I hope you can help!

I have a dump of raw data, which contain fields for Company,Bank,currency,amount and date sold. I keep adding to this dump once a week and have over 1000 records.

I need to generate the following report
* I enter a date range (as in date sold-one of the fields in a record)
* Data will be sorted by "date sold"
* This has to be split with a few blank lines between months along with the name of the month and month's total.

It should look something like this - Date range entered is "Jan04 to Feb 04"

January 2004
Company Bank currency amount date sold
xxxx xxx xx xxx xxx
xxxx xxx xx xxx xxx
xxxx xxx xx xxx xxx
Total for January 2004 XXXX

February 2004
Company Bank currency amount date sold
xxxx xxx xx xxx xxx
xxxx xxx xx xxx xxx
xxxx xxx xx xxx xxx
Total for February 2004 XXXX

I know access would probably be the better option, but am afraid this has to be in excel and no other. Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Best regards
Harsha:bink:

Zack Barresse
08-09-2004, 01:32 PM
Hi,

This may not be a real solution for you, but Excel has a native function that is somewhat like you described. Go to Data -> Subtotals. Also, you can upload an example file (clear any sensitive data) as a zip so people can see what you see and work with your data layout. After you click Post Reply, scroll down until you see Manage Attachments. Browse for your file, then click upload and post as usual. :)

Slowhand
08-09-2004, 02:52 PM
If you use the Sub-totals in conjunction with autofilter this makes life even easier

golf4
08-13-2004, 07:16 PM
Hi, everyone -
Just a quick thought: if your data is already in Excel, couldn't you accomplish this by using the Auto-Filter utility?

Golf

Slowhand
08-14-2004, 11:12 AM
If you send a sample of your spreadsheet I will gladly look at it for you

Zack Barresse
08-17-2004, 12:10 AM
Hey Harsha,

Did any of these ever work for you? Did you send Nick a copy?

harshajayatunge
08-29-2004, 09:06 AM
First of all may I sincerley appologies to everyone that helped out with ideas, for not responding for so long. I had to leave town on business suddenly & have not been able to access the internet from any reliable place. Kept logging in only to keep loosing the connection everyfew minutes. Well thats my excuse anyway! So I am sorry about it!!!!!!

For a quick fix the subtotals function works perfectly. It is a bit low-tech but at the moment thats all I have time for, so thank you very much. Life is a bit better with your help.

Best regards
Harsha