PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Data Relationships

jauner
12-28-2005, 10:51 AM
I have a set of tables I need to change the primary key for. I added a new field to be used as primary key in the table information. When I try to change that new field to the primary key I get an error that says it is being used in one or more relationships and I should delete the relationship out of the relationship window. I deleted the relationship and i still get the same message. What can I do? Doesnt make any sense.

jauner
12-28-2005, 11:53 AM
I did fix this by deleting the table and recreating but not sure why it would say there was still a relationship when I removed it.

ALaRiva
12-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Why are you changing Primary Keys?

Doing this goes against Normalization Rules. You should have just one Primary Key (usually Autonumber), and it should not change throughout the lifetime of the table. Doing this can lead to loss of data integrity.

- Anthony

jauner
12-28-2005, 03:11 PM
I understand what you are saying. I was brought in as a consultant to redo some databases so originally they were using an account number. But they have changed business rules and this is a database they keep one year of and then redo it every year. Now they are doing prospects in the database which do not have a account number so another field had to be created to link tables.

OBP
01-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Usually if they are not in the Relationship Window it means they are in one or more Queries and you have to clear them all.

jauner
01-05-2006, 02:14 PM
It was a weird corruption issue sending the database from a windows 2000 machine to xp. The source copy is fine for some reason.