PDA

View Full Version : Bug? with activeX combobox

werafa
07-15-2019, 03:15 PM
Hi all,

I've got a workbook (xlsb) with a couple of form controls, two images with attached macros and a combobox
the combobox regularly fails to operate, and throws a second image of itself a little distance away if it is clicked - and otherwise fails to do anything.
I've deleted and replaced it - and get exactly the same result.

I run Win10, office 365 (64 bit) and found this problem after migrating to a new laptop (prev lappy was running the same config), and getting windows and office updates - though am not sure if this is connected or not.

when I was adding the replacement cmb, I added the new one first, typed in the config, and had both cmb's working. I deleted the old one, added data to a table, and found the new cmb acting the same as the old one.

I had more issues that I fixed by adjusting trust centre settings, and now have macro and activeX security set to ask before running, and have the folders (in onedrive) set as a trusted location.

does anyone have ideas on where this is coming from or how to beat it?
thanks
Werafa

addendum:

hmm, that is annoying.
saved it as xlsm - it didn't work.
closed excel, and had some document recovery stuff appear
closed this and opened the xlsm, it didn't work.
closed this and opened the xlsb - it started working.

can't call this a solution though as it has 'started working' several times before

Paul_Hossler
07-15-2019, 03:37 PM
If you scroll it off the screen, and then come back does it go away?

Might be a video reminant??

werafa
07-15-2019, 04:10 PM
No, it does not fix it.

the problem is affecting other workbooks too.
the 'image' only appears when the control is clicked, and disappears when released.
I just had one in which the image overlapped the control, and when I clicked the overlap, was able to trigger the combobox

werafa
07-15-2019, 04:13 PM
the main reason for using activeX (except for the combobox) is to be able to edit the button label via VBA.

Am starting to wonder if I should ditch activeX entirely

Aflatoon
07-16-2019, 01:09 AM
Am starting to wonder if I should ditch activeX entirely

Yes, if at all possible. They are unreliable.

werafa
07-16-2019, 01:21 AM
Oh dear.

ah well, Murphy's Law of Combat:
1: Friendly fire isn't
2: incoming fire has right of way
3: Your weapon was made by the lowest bidder

Artik
07-16-2019, 03:25 PM
Yes, if at all possible. They are unreliable.I confirm.
ActiveX controls placed on a worksheet often make different pranks. ;)
Use the ComboBox from the form controls group.

Artik

werafa
07-16-2019, 03:51 PM
and 4: never interrupt the enemy when he is doing something stupid...

Thanks for the interruption. The workbook is not as elegant - but working is better than pretty methinks.
1 down and 1 to go. As you can probably see from the incoherent rambling, I'm near laugh or cry stage over this :)