PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Userform Text box question

Chukesgirl
08-09-2004, 03:25 PM
Hi All
I am very new to Word 2000 VBA and I have created a template that has a custom userform. In one of the fields on the userform, I have a blank text box for the the user's name to be inserted. I would like her name to be inserted, by default, from a tiny text file located on the c drive, however, on a few occassions, the user has to type one of her boss's names in this field, so will I be able to do this and if so can someone give me a sample of some code to tell me how or point me in the right direction? :dunno Thanks.

jamescol
08-09-2004, 04:11 PM
Let us know what the format of your file is, and we can supply you with some code. Also, you can also populate the textbox with the current user's name using the code:

textbox1.value = Application.UserName

This code will use the Name tab from User Information box under Tools | Options.

James

Chukesgirl
08-10-2004, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the quick response! I have the user's name in a notepad .txt file. When you say I can populate the text box, can I populate it with the user's name as well as all of her bosses? I thought I would need a combo box for that.

jamescol
08-10-2004, 03:36 PM
You application can determine the user's name automatically, but not a list of her supervisors. If her supervisor information is stored in a database or Windows Active Directory, you can programmatically retrieve rather than use a text file.

Once you have the information, it is simple to place it in separate textboxes or a listbox or combobox. You just need to determine what owrks best in your application.

I assume your notepad.txt file simply contains the user's name without any other formatting, and that there is no other text in the file. If so, you can use the following sample to read the name from the file.

Just replace the path and filename in the example with what you are using.

Sub ReadCSV()

'Opens the txt file and reads it's contents

Dim strFileName, strName As String
Dim fd As FileDialog
Dim i As Integer

On Error Resume Next

strFileName = "C:\MyPath\MyNotepadFile.txt"

Open strFileName For Input As #1

If Err.Number = 0 Then
Input #1, TextBox1.Value
Close #1

Else
MsgBox "There was a problem opening the file."
Exit Sub

End If

End Sub

Cheers,
James

fumei
08-10-2004, 10:45 PM
James, what is the purpose of fd as FileDialog, i as Integer, or strName as String - if you do not use them?

Kelly
08-11-2004, 01:04 AM
Hi Chukesgirl!

I just spent a few minutes putting together a template that MAY be similar to yours. I will zip my template into a ".zip" file and attach it below (here in this forum thread). Unzip it and save it as a ".dot" template, then create documents based on it and try it out.

I have "deviated" from your parameters slightly. I have not used a text box or a combo box on my form. Instead, I have used a MACROBUTTON field. If you have not used a MACROBUTTON field before, then for starters you could use Word's "Help" and just type in MacroButton.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Before attempting to use the file that I have attached, you will need to create a TEXT FILE called "namefile.txt" and save it in the path "C:\namefile.txt"

My macro is set to look for such a text file at EXACTLY the path I have described. This "namefile.txt" is where you can store the user name if you wish. (although, :hi:jamescol;) is correct that you can automatically get the user name from Word's internally stored information. of course, that assumes that the name found in the User Information box under Tools | Options is the name that you are attempting to insert into the form)

This is the macro code that runs when the user double-clicks the macrobutton:

Sub GetNameInfo()

Dim myCurrentDoc As String
Dim OriginalProtection As Integer 'Remember if the doc was protected. If so, then we will "re-protect" at the end
Dim myUserInput As Byte
Dim TheName As String 'the name that is stored in the text file on "C:\"
Dim ManualName As String 'a string for user input of any name they wish

myCurrentDoc = ActiveDocument.Name
OriginalProtection = Documents(myCurrentDoc).ProtectionType

myUserInput = MsgBox("Use default name?" & vbCr & vbCr & _
"If you choose NO, then you will be prompted" & vbCr & _
"to manually enter a name.", vbYesNo, "Use default name?")

If myUserInput = 6 Then

'******* OPEN THE FILE THAT CONTAINS THE DEFAULT NAME **********
On Error Resume Next
Documents.Open "C:\namefile.txt"
If Err.Number > 0 Then GoTo Whoops

'****** HIDE THE NEW WINDOW ***********************************
Windows("namefile.txt").Visible = False

'****** ASSUME THE NAME IS THE FIRST LINE OF TEXT IN THE FILE *****
TheName = Documents("namefile.txt").Paragraphs(1).Range.Text

Windows("namefile.txt").Close wdDoNotSaveChanges

On Error Resume Next
Documents(myCurrentDoc).Unprotect
On Error GoTo 0

Documents(myCurrentDoc).Fields(1).Select
Selection.TypeText TheName

Documents(myCurrentDoc).Activate

Else

'****** DO THIS IF THE USER OPTED NOT TO ACCEPT THE DEFAULT NAME *********

ManualName = InputBox("Enter any name you wish:", , "Santa Claus")

On Error Resume Next
Documents(myCurrentDoc).Unprotect
On Error GoTo 0

Documents(myCurrentDoc).Fields(1).Select
Selection.TypeText ManualName

Documents(myCurrentDoc).Activate

End If

If OriginalProtection > -1 Then Documents(myCurrentDoc).Protect OriginalProtection

End

Whoops:
MsgBox "The macro could not open namefile.txt" & vbCr & vbCr & _
"The default name cannot be inserted without access to ""C:\namefile.txt""" & vbCr & vbCr & _
"The macro has ended unsuccessfully."

End Sub

Actually, now that I think about it....
jamescols choice of: Open strFileName For Input As #1
is obviously superior to my use of the "documents" collection for accessing the data in the text file.

I knew there was a better way, but I was too lazy to look it up.
(all I could think of was:
open(DAT,$datafile);
@raw_data=<DAT>;
close(DAT);
...but that's PERL for crying out loud! )

However, I still think that my template as a whole is a good way to do what you wish to do. (I'll re-write my macro tomorrow to incorporate Jamescol's great stuff)

Feel free to bombard me with questions. I'm too bleary-eyed right now to anticipate any questions and "pre-empt" them, so I'll just come back later to see if I confused anyone.

See you all again soon!!!
Cheers to all!!!
Kelly

jamescol
08-11-2004, 08:59 AM
James, what is the purpose of fd as FileDialog, i as Integer, or strName as String - if you do not use them?

Gerry,
Good catch! These variables are not needed for this example. I just wasn't careful enough when editing another sample I had that did use these variables.

James

JOrzech
08-26-2004, 03:11 PM
I use an ini file to save the user name, etc. Just popping into this question, or you could write to the registry. Would that help?

Something like this for the ini file (obviously this is just an example):

Public Sub AutoNew()
On Error GoTo ErrorMsg
Dim sDesigPath As String
Dim sIniFile As String
sDesigPath = Options.DefaultFilePath(Path:=wdUserTemplatesPath)
sIniFile = sDesigPath & "\Personal.ini"
Load frmFax
frmFax.TextBox1.Text = ""
frmFax.TextBox2.Text = ""
frmFax.TextBox3.Text = ""
frmFax.TextBox4.Text = ""
frmFax.TextBox5.Text = ""
frmFax.TextBox6.Text = System.PrivateProfileString(sIniFile, "Personal",
"From")
frmFax.TextBox7.Text = System.PrivateProfileString(sIniFile, "Personal",
"Extension")
frmFax.TextBox8.Text = System.PrivateProfileString(sIniFile, "Personal",
"SenderID")
frmFax.TextBox9.Text = ""
frmFax.TextBox10.Text = ""
frmFax.TextBox11.Text = Format(VBA.Date, "mmmm d, yyyy")
If ActiveWindow.View.SplitSpecial = wdPaneNone Then
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Type = wdPageView
Else
ActiveWindow.View.Type = wdPageView
End If
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Zoom.Percentage = 100

frmFax.Show
ErrorMsg:
frmFax.Hide
Unload frmFax
End Sub