PDA

View Full Version : Add new name to dynamic range problem

rgr
01-03-2006, 08:09 PM
I have a dynamic named range as a validation list into which I could add new names on the fly. Worked very well. I then added a form that opens on a double click to help speed up the selection process. Now, if I add a new name, either with the userform or the validation list, it copies the new name down all 300 rows, obliterating the list. Could someone please help me?

samohtwerdna
01-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Hello,

I'm not sure what you mean by "add" a new name?

When I tried out your sheets I was able to type a new name in user form that appeared the next time with all of your presets. The onle problem I saw is that it added four new names when I entered "newname"

newn
newna
newnam
newname

I'm not sure why that happened but I could not get the same result of " it copies the new name down all 300 rows, obliterating the list." - that you got?

I'm using Excel 2003 - maybe that make a difference?

rgr
01-03-2006, 09:36 PM
Originally, using only the data validation list(the list itself has about 300 unique names), and using only the drop-down lists in each cell, I could simply select from the drop-down list or type in a name if it was new. A new name would automatically update the list and get sorted. worksheets "Round 1" and "Members" has code to handle this as well as the data validation for each cell. Then, I added a userform which could fly through the list because of the autocomplete feature. Now when I type in a name which does not already exist in the list, instead of simply being added to the list and sorted, if the new name is "Sophie", for example, then all 300 names in the list become Sophie and all of the original 300 unique names are gone.

Thank you for your help.

Bob Phillips
01-04-2006, 02:58 AM
Can't reproduce the problem. A double-click brings up the form and it works fine for me.

rgr
01-04-2006, 07:43 PM
Well, the problem manifests itself when you double click a cell, the userform pops up and you enter a new name into the userform not in the worksheet itself.:(