PDA

View Full Version : Do not word wrap in table cells

JohnnyBravo
01-04-2006, 01:29 PM
I've got a word document with several tables in it. I don't know if this would require VBA, but if it doesn't that's fine too.

I have a table that is 1 row & 2 cols. First cell is always going to be something like: "If No to the above, please explain:". Then in the cell next to it, we have the user fill out his/her answer. Right now the text wraps within that cell as the user begins to type his answer - but is there a way so that when the user gets to the end of the cell, create a new row just below that is all one row with no columns? and keep repeating this action as long as the user fills the max length of each row?

I can always create a table with say 3 rows or so.... But I don't know how lengthy the responses will be so guessing whether to create 2 rows or 5 rows is pointless.

TonyJollans
01-05-2006, 02:34 AM
Hi Johnny,

You can't really do it in the way you suggest but you could more or less achieve the effect by putting the question in a nested single cell table (or, maybe, a text box) inside a single cell table which held the answer. But then I wonder whether you need a table at all.

If you want a form for the user to fill out what you should really be using is a Word form - and a text formfield will behave exactly as you describe.

JohnnyBravo
01-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Hi Johnny,

You can't really do it in the way you suggest but you could more or less achieve the effect by putting the question in a nested single cell table (or, maybe, a text box) inside a single cell table which held the answer. But then I wonder whether you need a table at all.

If you want a form for the user to fill out what you should really be using is a Word form - and a text formfield will behave exactly as you describe.

Thanks Tony.

I do agree using the forms method option in this case would be better
and in fact thats the way the original version was setup. However some of the institutions we work with are apparently using a older version of MS Word and they're complaining to us about compatibility issues. :dunno

So I figured I would put an end to the phone calls and do away w/ the form fields all together. Sounds like either option will have some drawbacks.

JohnnyBravo
01-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Speaking of formatting issues, I've got a small annoyance with word tables I was wondering if you could help me with. It's not VBA related.

I'm using MS Office 2002. In this document I've described above, I've set up some tables with borders and some tables with no borders. Let's say for example I copy a table with no borders except for the bottom row to another page within the same document. For some ungodly known reason, Word likes to put the borders back on all the sides when it pastes! Regardless of the border of the table which I'm copying. So I found the culprit to be the "Styles". In the Formatting option where it lists all the Styles, I see the "Table Grid" listed there. Once I deleted it, the copy and paste worked fine.

Now here's the kicker. It keeps coming back! I keep deleting it from the styles list and it keep re-appearing. When it comes to problems like this, I really hate using Word comparing to WordPerfect. Does anyone know a solution for this?

TonyJollans
01-05-2006, 11:38 AM
Hi Johnny,

FormFields go back at least to Word 97 (although there may be a few differences between releases). Can you not find out exactly what the issues are? If not you may find that your redesign doesn't solve them.

fumei
01-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Tony is right of course.

As Table Grid - it is a built-in Style. You can not get rid of it. The solution is not to remove what Word does, but go further - something I have suggested constantly. Make you OWN style, and use that!

JohnnyBravo
01-06-2006, 10:20 AM
There's a couple of tables in the document where we ask the user to list various doctors and nurses names and their roles. So naturally, some hospitals depending on their staff size, are going to want more rows added. Problem is that right now the current table has 8 rows and there's no way I can predict for each hospital how many rows they are going to need. And if i dont' provide enough rows, then I'm going to get barraged with phone calls with people complaining there's not enough rows.

If i create these docs as a form, it won't let me add more rows because the form is "locked". And to my understanding, it has to be "locked" so that the user can check the Y or N boxes and type the answers in the form fields.

fumei
01-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Uh, so have the form unlock...make rows....lock again.

JohnnyBravo
01-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Uh, so have the form unlock...make rows....lock again.

Yes I know i can unlock it. But the user is not here in our office - these documents sent to various hospitals across the country. So what am I supposed to do when I start getting calls from them? Unlock it and e-mail the revised form back to them everytime this happens? No way - I don't have time for that! We have over a 100 hospitals we deal with.

fumei
01-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Uh, no....have a Inputbox as part of the process asking if they need more than 8 rows...if Yes, unlock and make the rows..if no...don't do anything.

This is basically a requirement to determine a need....so ask.