PDA

View Full Version : Output To

smilla
08-10-2004, 04:12 AM
Hi,

I am currently using Output To from a Query to RTF because I want my hyperlinks to stay as hyperlinks. The only problem is that using this, it only allows 63 fields to be exported. Is there a way around this?

Or, can I Output To another format other than RTF so it keeps my hyperlinks and allows more fields?

Thanks
Smilla

VicRauch
08-10-2004, 06:43 AM
Smilla,

What is your ultimate goal? That is, what do you really want to output to? What type of format do you really want this data in? I know you want to keep your hyperlinks, but other than that, how do you want your data to look?

Thanks,
Vic

smilla
08-10-2004, 06:57 AM
My ultimate goal is to use the Output To from a query in my access database on a regular basis to an RTF.

I then have mailmerge templates which are linked to the rtf file. Therefore the data is updated when the OutputTo has been run.

I did not want to use ODBC because it opens a copy of Access each time a user opens the mailmerge document. This would cause locking problems. I want the data to be as live as possible.

The only problems i am having is that access restricts the amount of fields to be output. With TransferText etc, this transfers every field but with OutputTo it doesn't.

Smilla

VicRauch
08-10-2004, 11:59 AM
At this point, my thinking is that within your mailmerge (Word?) there might be a way to designate the field as a hyperlink, which means that as long as the right characters (www.domainname.com (http://www.domainname.com)) is being put out, then if you can describe that field within the template as a hyperlink field, that would take care of it. If I think of something else, I'll let you know.

If there is more you can tell me about the final product, using Word, Wordperfect, or whatever, how you want the user to use the document, etc. Also, is there a way you can output this information to an Excel worksheet, then use it as the input to your template?

Sorry I can't be more help. :confused:

Vic

smilla
08-11-2004, 01:10 AM
Thanks Vic,

There may be a way of setting the {MergeField Hyperlink} format to be a hyperlink, I will look into it today.

How my users will be using the Merge document is from an Intranet. They click on a hyperlink which opens the mergetemplate. I've set a macro to automatically start the merge which pulls the information from the rtf.

I have tried it from an excel spreadsheet and even though when you output to Excel it does keep the hyperlinks, as soon as the merge document merges with the .xls, it loses the hyperlinks. Strange but annoying.

Smilla

smilla
08-13-2004, 02:09 AM
Well I looked into it and I could find anything which would change the field to Hyperlink, so I am stuck with 63 fields only in my RTF.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Regards

Smilla

sgrant
08-23-2004, 08:24 AM
Hey Smilla,

This is from another direction. We have a tool here that the users run a query for a mail merge. It is a big table, both in fields and potentially rows. We have a "dummy" access data base on each users PC and after the process is run, access exports the entire table to the indviduals pc "C:\MailMerge.MDB" for instance. Then the user uses this database for the mail merge instead of the shared copy. Also, this allows the documents to all look for the same dB and path requiring fewer updates in the long run for the individual merges. This gets around the field count and type limitations.

please let me know if you need any code samples or clarification for my rambling answer.