PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Skype

gsdonald
01-05-2006, 11:20 AM
Hi all,
I can hardly believe I'm the first to write about this subject. Anyway, here goes.
I have a db in access (big wow). What I'd like to do is this. When I click on a telephone number in a form, it automatically places a call to that number using SKYPE.
(I didn't want this to be an advertisement for that company!)

Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,

gsdonald

wadiohead
01-13-2006, 10:58 AM
I don't use Skype, but the web tells me it has a command line option:

/callto:nameornumber - call the specified Skype Name or SkypeOut number.

Add something like this to the OnClick event of the field:

Private Sub txtPhoneNumber_Click()

Dim strSkypePath as String

strSkypePath = "C:\Program Files\Skype\Skype.exe"

Shell strSkyePath & " \callto:" & me.txtPhoneNumber.value

End Sub

Change strSkypePath to Skype's actual exe path and all reference to txtPhoneNumber to the name of the control you want to run.

-David

EDIT 1/13/2005 2:38 PM EST: Forgot a space in the " /callto" line in the code.

Zack Barresse
01-13-2006, 11:59 AM
I too use Skype. Can you post a small example Database of your file? If it won't fit, email is an option as well.

Paleo
01-14-2006, 04:47 AM
Dont you wanna test Windows Live Messenger?

gsdonald
01-14-2006, 04:49 AM
Hey thanks for the idea. The problem is that this code only opens up SKYPE. It doesn't place the call.
Could you give me the links on where you came across the command line option, please?
Thanks

Zack Barresse
01-14-2006, 10:53 AM
I think Carlos is right. I don't think Skype supports VBA, which will make things infinitely harder than they have to be. Using products that support VBA will be of great benefit to you.

wadiohead
01-17-2006, 09:39 AM
Go to Start / Run and type in (changing the folder/executable to the correct ones):

C:\Program Files\Skype\Skype.exe /callto: [enter a number here]

Tell me what that does. According to Skype's website that should open up a call; for this sort of thing, I'm not sure why we would need Skype to support VBA.

David

PS Starting here (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-15,GGLD:en&q=skype+command+line) might be a good idea; it's the first link.