PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] When you have one workbook, two windows, does any event happen closing second window?

LarryG
11-09-2019, 07:49 PM
This is about Workbook events and possibly Window events. Also, for versions with MDI prior to the Microsoft's deeply insane SDI change.
Start excel fresh. No visible workbooks.
Control-N
Alt-W, N

Is there an event from now going Control-W or Control-F4? It's not a sheet event. And it's not a workbook close - just one window of a workbook. I suppose I'm longing for Window_close or Window_BeforeClose or Window_DeActivate or such.

Note: I have tried the following code in personal.xls ThisWorkbook and a Class Module and no Stop happens. It seems to only be interested in those events with personal.xls itself. The only code I've seen run of the following is the Workbook_Open.

To test the following code I did the following but with total non-success.
Control-N
Alt-W, N
Alt-W, N
Control-W (closing window 2)
Control-W (closing the workbook)
I don't seem to be able to get any of the following events to happen for Book1.xls - they only seem to work for personal.xls. As you might guess, I don't want to write code for every workbook's ThisWorkbook and such. I want to write it once in personal.xls, and have it apply to every workbook opened.

'personal.xls's Module1:
Public AppClass As New EventClass ' needed to use App_ subs 'Note, removing New is contemplated

'personal.xls ThisWorkbook:
Private Sub Workbook_Open() 'Is this the first thing to run when opening Excel? (assuming obviously that you have a \startup\personal.xls)
'Set AppClass = New EventClass 'new line contemplated, along with removing New from Public declaration
Set AppClass.App = Application ' needed to use App_ subs
End Sub

'personal.xls EventClass:
Public WithEvents App As Application

Private Sub App_WindowDeactivate(ByVal Wb As Workbook, ByVal Wn As Window)
Stop
End Sub
Private Sub App_WorkbookBeforeClose(ByVal Wb As Workbook, Cancel As Boolean)
Stop
End Sub
Private Sub App_WorkbookDeactivate(ByVal Wb As Workbook)
Stop
End Sub

Additional confusion: I have never observed the following code working in Personal's ThisWorkbook EXCEPT when I unhid personal, and closed just that personal workbook. In other words, when I close Excel, the msgbox doesn't appear. What is the sequence of events on closing Excel? Is that event skipped, or does it just refuse to interrupt its departure with a msgbox? So a Stop or msgbox are just not processed before Excel is gone?

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
MsgBox "Wow, this Sub seems to finally have run"
End Sub

Final note: from time to time I have to re-issue
Set AppClass.App = Application
because things like App_WorkbookBeforeSave stop working. MAYBE it's due to interrupting code without letting it complete, but it seems to happen more often than only to blame that.

LarryG
11-09-2019, 07:57 PM
Jeez, just now App_Window_Deactivate DID work for my test, as does App_WorkbookBeforeClose and App_WorkbookDeActivate, each when appropriate. I had testing them 50 times before posting and they never worked. This time, I made a point of issuing the command
Set AppClass.App = Application
this last time before doing the test, so that's the only feeble theory that I have as to why the App events seem to work now. I think that every time I edited the EventClass class module I destroyed AppClass.App.

EDIT: I'm making solved but further comment, analysis and education regarding other elements of my post are still appreciated, namely, why I keep having to restore AppClass.App. I'm making a separate question anyway.

SamT
11-10-2019, 02:32 AM
Larry, in the VBE, press F2, then select Excel in the "All Libraries" Drop Down. Then find and click on Application. Scroll the right hand pane