PDA

View Full Version : Improved CustomUI Editor (calling Paul Hossler)

Bob Phillips
01-18-2020, 12:59 PM
I have been using the improved CustomUI editor that Paul mentioned for a while now, and it is a really big improvement. I am not going back.

One thing it has is the ability to open multiple files, which is nice, but:

- I find that I can open the same file twice, which is odd, byt also can be confusing if you open it, save it, make some changes it Excel, re-open to use the latest version. Does everyone else see this behaviour.

- the 'Close Current Document' option doesn't work for me. It closes all documents and the app. Again, what do others see?

Paul_Hossler
01-18-2020, 02:41 PM
If I try to open the same document, I get a warning

If I have 3 open, and control-W, only the 'active' (aka 'current') one closes

Control_W

There is the [Reload on Save] option that I leave 'set'

I've found the author to be very responsive

https://github.com/fernandreu/office-ribbonx-editor/issues

BTW, I'm using:

Version: 1.6.0.493
Runtime:
.NET Framework 4.8.4075.0
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10.0.18363

Bob Phillips
01-20-2020, 05:14 PM
Thanks Paul. I was running 1.5.1.418, upgrading makes my system behave as yours does.

Bit odd really, I only noticed the multiple files and Close Current recently, and as release 1.6.0.493 seems to suggest that it is this version that introduces the multi-tab layout, I wonder if it was always thus.

But no time to dwell on that, just to enjoy it, the multi-tab is a big plus for me.

Paul_Hossler
01-20-2020, 05:45 PM
One thing I find handy is the ability to have XML files with 'standard' or frequently used pieces of Fluent in the Samples directory. I forget the less commonly used keywords so this helps

I can insert one or more into the CustomUI.

Since I'm not a good multi-tasker, I've never really used the multi-tab that much but it's handy to copy XML from one file to another.

Andy Pope
01-21-2020, 06:41 AM
Looks like the samples directory supports sub folders so you can have customUI and customUI14 samples.

Bob Phillips
01-21-2020, 04:34 PM
One thing I find handy is the ability to have XML files with 'standard' or frequently used pieces of Fluent in the Samples directory.

Yeah, that is another plus, bit like MZ-Tools Copy Library, but without the placeholder variable. As Andy says, folder support is nice, cleaner to manage.