PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Use a variable for subroutine name

jwise
02-27-2020, 09:01 PM
I have many macros in a workbook but only 7 or 8 are normally used. Sometimes the particular macro name needed is lost in this list of macros. I added a worksheet (named "DOC") which lists the most common macros with a brief description of their function. Now I'd like to highlight the macro name I want and call it. Although the following code doesn't do this, it has the same problem. How do I fix it?

The code asks the user for a macro name and then attempts to call that macro. It gets a compile error because the variable name for the macro isn't allowed. If I can get this to work, I can solve the real problem.

Sub VarMac()

Dim macName as String

macName = InputBox("Please enter the macro name.")

MsgBox macName

Call macName

End

SamT
02-27-2020, 10:13 PM
The key word "Private" keeps Procedures from being listed in the Macro list

Private Sub Blahblah()
Private Function Blehbleh()

The Module directive "Option Private Module" keeps all Procedures in that Module from being listed

p45cal
02-28-2020, 03:24 AM
Sub VarMac()
Dim macName As String
macName = InputBox("Please enter the macro name.")
MsgBox macName
Application.Run macName
End Sub

Paul_Hossler
02-28-2020, 08:07 AM
I have many macros in a workbook but only 7 or 8 are normally used. Sometimes the particular macro name needed is lost in this list of macros. I added a worksheet (named "DOC") which lists the most common macros with a brief description of their function. Now I'd like to highlight the macro name I want and call it. Although the following code doesn't do this, it has the same problem. How do I fix it?

The code asks the user for a macro name and then attempts to call that macro. It gets a compile error because the variable name for the macro isn't allowed. If I can get this to work, I can solve the real problem.

I'd add a 'Control Panel' worksheet with 7-8 buttons each calling the appropriate macro (or an UserForm if I wanted to get fancy)

It doesn't seen very user friendly to make people type in the name of a macro to run.

jwise
02-28-2020, 09:33 AM
Thank you for all the replies. VBAX is a wonderful site and resource.

"Application.Run" was exactly what I needed. I've tested the sample code and it performed as desired.

snb
02-28-2020, 10:48 AM
You overlooked the very sensible comments Paul_Hossler made.

jwise
03-02-2020, 12:39 PM
I appreciate every reply since the responder is taking his/her time to help me. I did not overlook any reply; I made a value judgement that the improved function was not worth the time to code and test. I decided it wasn't since the code was really for my use only. Had this been code that I would have sold or provided to others, the decision would have probably been different. Thanks for your input.