PDA

View Full Version : Writing array to sheet

paulked
04-28-2020, 07:48 AM
Hi.

I've just spent more time trying to write an array to a sheet than writing the code to make the array, and then still couldn't do it!

This was in responce to this (http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?67249-Split-comma-to-rows) thread:

Sub SplitList()
Dim arr1, arr2, arr3(), arr4, lr As Long, i As Long, j As Long, k As Long, x As Long
Dim str As String
lr = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
arr1 = Range("A2:E" & lr)
x = 0
For i = 1 To UBound(arr1)
arr2 = Split(arr1(i, 3), ",")
For j = 0 To UBound(arr2)
For k = 1 To 5
If k = 3 Then
str = str & Trim(arr2(j)) & ","
Else
str = str & Trim(arr1(i, k)) & ","
End If
Next
ReDim Preserve arr3(x)
arr3(x) = Split(Left(str, Len(str) - 1), ",")
x = x + 1
str = ""
Next
Next
arr4 = Application.Transpose(arr3)
Range("G2:K" & x + 1).Value = Application.Transpose(arr4)
End Sub

But I was trying to write arr3 direct like this:

Range("G2:K" & x + 1).Value = arr3

but it wouldn't write and have no idea why. Any answer please?

Jan Karel Pieterse
04-28-2020, 07:55 AM
You can only pass either a single value or a two-dimensional array to Excel. arr3 is a one-dimensional array. The transpose function converts that to a two-dimensional one.

snb
04-28-2020, 07:55 AM
please post a sample file.

arr3 is a 1-dimensional array that can't be redimmed with redim preserve.

paulked
04-28-2020, 07:59 AM
From earlier thread.

paulked
04-28-2020, 08:04 AM
Thanks guys, it's sinking in... slowly!

So is the best way to do it the way I did? (I realise I could have used the same array name instead of introducing arr4)

Zack Barresse
04-28-2020, 11:06 AM
There's a few things to note here in addition to what's already been said. VBA is kind of letting you get away with murder in most of this - which is a double-edged sword to be sure. For example, using UBound(), you don't have to specify the column as it will use the first dimension. I recommend always setting it on multi-dimensional arrays. So instead of using Ubound(arr1) you would use UBound(arr1, 1). You're also assuming your arrays are a base of 1, which they are when set to a range of cells, but this shouldn't be assumed. Instead of saying ' For i = 1 to...' you should use 'For i = LBound(arr, 1) to...'. Same with your j loop, it assumes a base of 0, like a normal array would behave, but using LBound takes out the guess work.

paulked
04-28-2020, 12:13 PM
Thanks Zack, I'm still struggling with some of the ways to fill arrays, but I'm trying. I appreciate your comments on UBound, but I didn't assume them to be base 0 or 1, hence the change in start for the loops, I'm just a lazy typer!

p45cal
04-28-2020, 12:39 PM
You could also create arr3 in the correct orientation from the start, but to do that we have to know how big it will need to be because we can't ReDim Preserve as we go along because we'd have to ReDim the first member/dimension of the array which is verboten. So a line to calculate the needed size near the start tries to do that. Then your original code, with a tweak or two, handles the rest.
Added bonus, if there were real dates in there, they wouldn't be mangled (converted to strings) by the Transpose operation(s) (but paulked and I have had that discussion recently).

Sub SplitList()
Dim lr As Long, arr1, zz As Long, x As Long, i As Long, arr2, j As Long, k As Long, arr3
lr = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
arr1 = Range("A2:E" & lr)
'Find size of final array:
zz = UBound(Split(WorksheetFunction.TextJoin(",", True, Range("C2:C" & lr).Value), ",")) + 1
ReDim arr3(1 To zz, 1 To 5)
x = 0
For i = 1 To UBound(arr1)
arr2 = Split(arr1(i, 3), ",")
For j = 0 To UBound(arr2)
x = x + 1
For k = 1 To 5
If k = 3 Then arr3(x, k) = Trim(arr2(j)) Else arr3(x, k) = arr1(i, k)
Next
Next
Next
Range("G2:K2").Resize(x).Value = arr3
End Sub

paulked
04-28-2020, 12:44 PM
Brilliant, just what I needed to know. Thank you :thumb

snb
04-28-2020, 01:37 PM
Sub M_snb()
sn = sheet1.Cells(1).CurrentRegion
ReDim st(UBound(Split(Join(Application.Transpose(Application.Index(sn, 0, 3)), ","), ",")), 4)

For j = 2 To UBound(sn)
sq = Split(sn(j, 3), ",")
For jj = 0 To UBound(sq)
st(n, 0) = sn(j, 1)
st(n, 1) = sn(j, 2)
st(n, 2) = Trim(sq(jj))
st(n, 3) = sn(j, 4)
st(n, 4) = sn(j, 5)
n = n + 1
Next
Next

sheet1.Cells(2, 7).Resize(UBound(st) + 1, UBound(st, 2) + 1) = st