PDA

View Full Version : Document Change / Document Modify

chandansify
01-18-2006, 01:26 AM
Hi,

Can we capture change event of document?
Is it possible that we restrict document changes without password protection?

Thanks in Advance

Regards
Chandan Banga

TonyJollans
01-18-2006, 04:27 AM
No!

Well, it depends what you mean by 'change'. You can not trap every change as it is made but you can trap attempts to save a (changed) document. That, though, would not stop someone copying and pasting to a new document which they could then save.

Basically, if people can read a document they can change it - or, at least, create a changed copy of it.

fumei
01-18-2006, 06:46 PM
Agree on the "No!".

Do not agree on - "if people can read a document they can change it - or, at least, create a changed copy of it." You can disable the Copy command...at least in Word. However, if they can open the file in another application...it is wide open.

Without password protection (that is Forms protection, not document protection) there is not much you can do about it in Word.

TonyJollans
01-19-2006, 12:31 AM
Oh, come on, Gerry!

You know as well as I do that that is superficial protection. It's like putting up a sign saying "Please don't copy" - most people will accept the restriction but anyone that wants to copy it, can.

fumei
01-19-2006, 01:14 AM
Yes...which is what I said. Open it in something else and it is wide open.

most people will accept the restriction but anyone that wants to copy it, can.
Is not putting password protection for forms (but not use any forms) in order to prevent editing also putting up a sign..."You can't edit"?

However...yes, Tony...it is superficial. And I should have kept my mouth shut.