PDA

View Full Version : copy and rename a folder and its contents based on a cell value.

border31
05-28-2020, 12:14 PM
I'm somewhat new to Excel VBA and understand this is a complicated thing I'm trying to accomplish. I'm using office 365 version of Excel.
I'm trying to build a few workbooks for my scaffold company to track my scaffolds and progress on different job sites as well as track where my inventory is.
I have my main workbook "Scaffold Tracker" with column E9 and down tracking TAG#. I have 2 other workbooks "Kelowna Yard Tracker" and "Kamloops Yard Tracker" which have our inventory. I also have Folders that match the cell value's TAG#
(eg:1,2,3 so on) from the "scaffold tracker" with workbooks that match the Yard Trackers that subtract inventory from the "Yard tracker" lists.
What I'm hoping to accomplish is to build a macro that:
-when a new Tag# is input into the "Scaffold Tracker" E9 and down column copy a template folder and its contents to my tag# folder and rename the folder and its contents to match the tag#(eg Folder"1" containing excel workbook"1")
- I'm hoping that this new workbook will already be connected to my Scaffold tracker. If not I'm hoping to be able to add that to the macro.

Sorry I can't add what I already have for a VBA but I don't really know where to start with this one.
Thank you in advance!

snb
05-29-2020, 04:08 AM
Refrain form splitting everything in workbooks and folders.
You can manage your whole 'project' much simpler and more efficiently in 1 workbook.

border31
05-31-2020, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the reply snb. My last project we had over 8000 scaffolds. We are looking to have the photos and associated paperwork with the counts of what was on them so they are easy to find.