PDA

View Full Version : Most Popular

Reign
01-23-2006, 04:19 PM
hi all,

Sorry to bother you again but I was wondering I have made a program which has a listing of all the branches and a find option..

anyway my question is....Is there a way I can start up a new form and have it so when I open this form it displays the top 5 searches that they have been doing ???

Thanks alot

Ads.:beerchug:

XLGibbs
01-23-2006, 05:16 PM
I think this is possible, but how is a top 5 identified? Unless you have an existing mechanism in place to track each search (based on the Find option) and count them somewhere, creating a list of historical searches would be difficult.

Do you have a mechanism in place to track the search items in an active session already?

Zack Barresse
01-23-2006, 05:23 PM
If you keep this information somewhere, yes. Otherwise no. You need to think of where you will store this data though. I would recommend a hidden sheet. Then you can just keep a list of everything you search for and keep an adjacent column for counting how many times that was searched for. Then just find the top 5 highest values and use them.

XLGibbs
01-23-2006, 05:31 PM
:friends:Yeah, I kind of meant what he said too, just said it the wrong way...but really meant about the same thing...possible yes, but only with a way to store the searched items as he indicated.

Zack Barresse
01-23-2006, 05:36 PM
LOL! Sorry Gibbs, didn't even see your post. That's what I get for waiting to hit that Submit button.. :doh:

Reign
01-23-2006, 06:20 PM
So If I store all the searches in another sheet and then get them counted that would work ??

but how do I get it to display on in my textbox and labels but also send it to another sheet.

this stuff is getting abit too much in depth :)

Zack Barresse
01-23-2006, 08:53 PM
Reign, it will continue to get in-depth the farther we progress. You're talking about something that can become quite complicated very fast.

Now it all depends on how you wish to trigger these "searches". Or are you just using the Find from the Edit menu? We would need some kind of user control over it. Do you currently have a worksheet that you are trying this on?