PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] How to Create UDF

sg2209
01-31-2021, 10:11 AM
Dear Mentors/Friends
Hope You are doing good
Though i have watched so many videos and gone though several post to create formula to excel udf ( User Defined Function) that i can use it easily however i am not sure how to prepare it.

Here is the formula

E2 =IF(COUNTIF(A2:D2,"Yes"),"Rule"&SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(IF(A2="Yes","1 ","")&IF(B2="Yes","2 ","")&IF(C2="Yes","3 ","")&IF(D2="Yes","4",""))," ",","),"")

Also is it possible to select the ranges though input box
Just started learning excel and vba not very much sure how to do it .

Thanks for you efforts

jolivanes
01-31-2021, 11:49 AM
Can't answer your first request but this should give you an idea for your InputBox question.

Sub Select_With_InputBox()
Dim Rng As Range
On Error GoTo Canceled
Set Rng = Application.InputBox(Prompt:="Select a Range with the mouse." & vbLf & "For multiple Ranges, hold the ""Ctrl"" Button down.", Title:="Select Range(s)", Type:=8)
'Do something like clearing the selection(s)
Rng.ClearContents
Canceled:
End Sub

p45cal
02-01-2021, 02:57 AM
Hope You are doing good
I always try to do good when I can, although I wouldn't quite put myself in the category of do-gooders. In fact I can be downright wicked at times.
I am, however, quite well.

to create formula to excel udf ( User Defined Function) that i can use it easily however i am not sure how to prepare it.
It would be good if you could supply a workbook to give us a better idea of how you're going to use it.
Depending on your version of Excel this UDF might do it for you:

Function WhatRules1(rng1, rng2)
WhatRules1 = Evaluate("IF(COUNTIF(" & rng1.Address(external:=True) & ",""Yes""),""Rule "" & TEXTJOIN("","",TRUE,FILTER({1,2,3,4}," & rng2.Address(external:=True) & "=""Yes"",""none"")),"""")")
End Functionand you'd use it like this:

If your version of Excel is older, then the above won't work, but this one might:
Function WhatRules2(rng1, rng2)
If Evaluate("COUNTIF(" & rng1.Address(external:=True) & ",""Yes"")") Then
Count = 0
For Each cll In rng2.Cells
Count = Count + 1
If cll.Value = "Yes" Then wr2 = wr2 & Count & ","
Next cll
If Len(wr2) > 0 Then wr2 = "Rules " & Left(wr2, Len(wr2) - 1) Else wr2 = "No rules"
WhatRules2 = wr2
Else
WhatRules2 = "Not Applicable"
End If
End Functionused in exactly the same way as the first UDF (except it's called WhatRules2.
Both of these UDFs assume a sequence 1,2,3,4, which you may not want. This is why it's better to provide a workbook and a bit more explanation of how you want it to work.

Also is it possible to select the ranges though input boxAll UDFs when used on a worksheet will allow you to select ranges with the mouse or type the references in.

SamT
02-01-2021, 09:10 AM
I do not recommend using InputBoxes in UDFs, because, if you use that UDF in many places, you will need to input the Ranges for all cells using that UDF every time the sheet calculates... And there is no easy way to tell which Cell you need to reenter the ranges for.

jolivanes
02-01-2021, 10:20 AM
I thought that the InputBox question was separate from the UDF question but maybe not.

sg2209
02-02-2021, 08:14 PM
Thank You for the response, appreciate your efforts
Let me check and will let you know

jolivanes
02-02-2021, 08:51 PM
Re: "Let me check and will let you know."
Are you doing this for a customer?

sg2209
02-02-2021, 11:49 PM
No i am using this for my self not for any customer, First thing i will understand the logic to learn something new and i can ask my subboridnate to do it this can reduce my work

sg2209
02-03-2021, 12:12 AM
I tried both the code unfortunately getting an error #Value.

Added file Dummy here, please review

p45cal
02-03-2021, 05:35 AM
See attached.

Paul_Hossler
02-03-2021, 08:27 AM
See attached.

I'd suggest a couple of changes

Function WhatRules2(rng1 As Range, rng2 As Range) As Variant
Dim i As Long
Dim s As String

WhatRules2 = CVErr(xlErrNA)

For i = 1 To rng1.Columns.Count - 1 Step 2
If rng1.Cells(1, i).Value = "Yes" Then s = s & ", " & rng2.Cells(1, i).Value
Next i

If Len(s) > 0 Then WhatRules2 = Mid(s, 3)
End Function

sg2209
02-03-2021, 08:57 AM
Thank You so much p45cal (http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/member.php?3494-p45cal) & Paul_Hossler (http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/member.php?9803-Paul_Hossler).:beerchug: :beerchug:

Worked like a charm, really appreciate your efforts thanks a ton again :)

Thank You jolivanes (http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/member.php?1993-jolivanes) :yes

sg2209
04-21-2021, 07:41 PM
Thank You so much everyone