PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] File Format and Extension Don’t Match

anish.ms
03-21-2021, 03:58 AM
The ‘File Format and Extension of Don’t Match’ error appear when I tries to open the attached sample file in Excel. I have around 60+ such files to be merged into one sheet using power query. But my problem here is some files are taking very long time/excel not responding based on the file size (maximum 20MB) even if click on Yes to open it.
These files are exported from a web based report and hence it has some unrecognized objects on the sheets. When Ii click save as, the default file type is HTML.
Request your help here, any ways to convert all these files to xlsx without opening one by one

Paul_Hossler
03-21-2021, 08:04 AM
Edited out due to Senior Moment:crying::crying::crying:

I have no idea where the file I was looking at came from:think::think::think:

anish.ms
03-21-2021, 10:39 AM
Hi Paul,
Thanks for your time and response.
I'm using Office 365 and I too tried renaming the file to zip but its not opening for me. I understand it works only for xlsx version files.
It seems the file you tried is different from what I had attached.

SamT
03-21-2021, 10:55 AM
That *.xls file opens OK in Excel 2002

Paul_Hossler
03-21-2021, 11:27 AM
Hi Paul,
Thanks for your time and response.
I'm using Office 365 and I too tried renaming the file to zip but its not opening for me. I understand it works only for xlsx version files.
It seems the file you tried is different from what I had attached.

1. You're right - that really was the wrong file

2. I get the "if you trust" message and then I can open it ok with 365

3. Here in the US we have the "Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act" for protecting patients' data. I noticed that there are names, etc. in your file. To avoid any issues it might be better to remove any sensitive information.

anish.ms
03-21-2021, 11:30 AM
Hi Sam. The sample file I attached is only 40 KB and it open here as well. But there are files with more data where it is taking very long time/my excel become not responding. I attached a small size here file for the members to see the contents in the workbook.

anish.ms
03-21-2021, 11:33 AM
Hi Paul, due to the sensitive data I didn't attach a file which has more data. I tried to remove name and other sensitive details, but the changes is getting lost in this particular excel file.

anish.ms
03-21-2021, 12:24 PM
I have combined the files using power query
Thanks!