PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] VBA to Limit what Columns a User can View--Question about Security

ScottyBee
03-22-2021, 04:56 PM
I have an Excel workbook that has a column for each user, roughly 12 total. When the user opens the workbook, I have code in the Open event that retrieves their username and hides all columns except that of the current user.

When coding this project, I learned that simply opening up the VBE editor in another workbook and typing application.enableEvents = False allows me to open the workbook in question and bypass the code in the Open event. This means that someone who knows a little programming could do the same and view the hours for all the users.

Fortunately, the data shown is not proprietary or sensitive. I was just tasked with a means of creating an "easy" way for each user to see his/her training related hours.

If this was sensitive data, Is there a better method to accomplish this task that does not involve using a web based or SQL Server solution? Thanks for your advice. :)

mark007
03-22-2021, 05:24 PM
If the data was truly sensitive then the answer is probably don't do it!

However, you could improve the position by hiding all of the columns initially then adding a worksheet password. Then get your VBA to unprotect the sheet, unhide the relevant column and then protect the sheet (with the password). And don't forget to then add a password to you VBA to stop someone looking at it.

Just be aware that the worksheet passwords are very breakable so this only makes it harder rather than secure.

ScottyBee
03-23-2021, 07:46 AM
Thank Mark for the good tip. I will definitely do that. Thanks for your help.