PDA

View Full Version : Word form template macros not working in SharePoint

lagordon
08-12-2004, 09:41 AM
I've created a Word 2002 form that has many macros to automate tasks when exiting a form field. The users need to access the form through SharePoint. After publishing on SharePoint, some users open the template and it works fine and other users don't have the macros at all.

SharePoint is on a network server, and desktops were installed to point to C:\ for templates (and normal.dot) and the executables.

How do I distribute the form with macros through SharePoint?

Thanks in advance for help.

jamescol
08-13-2004, 06:37 PM
I've seen this behavior a number of times. If you will, post the following information. Sharepoint contains many elements, any number of which can create this issue.

1. Version of SP (including service pack)
2. Version of IIS on the SP server
3. OS version of the SP server w/SP Level
4. Workstation OS with SP level
5. Workstation IE version and SP
6. Office SP level
7. Is Sharepoint configured to use SSL?
8. Are your users opening the Word doc via HTTP or opening it using the "Document | Edit in Word" menu from Sharepoint?

I know this is a lot, but necessary to troubleshoot the problem.

James

lagordon
08-14-2004, 11:51 AM
I'll forward the questions to our Sys Admin and get back to you next week with his reply. Thanks for confirming that you've seen this problem before.

Lorrie

lagordon
08-23-2004, 03:45 PM
Okay, James, here's the answers about our configuration:

1. SharePoint version is 2001, Service pack 2. Service pack 3 install is scheduled for 2 weeks out.
2. Version 5 of IIS
3. OS version is 2000 Server standard SP 4
4. Workstation OS is Windows 2000 SP 4
5. Workstation IE version 6.0 SP 1
6. Office SP level is SP1
7. SharePoint is not configured to use SSL
8. Users are opening the Word doc via HTTP

JOrzech
08-26-2004, 08:39 PM
What are the users' macro security levels set to? Are they all the same?

jamescol
08-26-2004, 10:21 PM
Joanne hit the nail on the head. My research says HIGH macro security levels are the most likely culprit. Check the security level (Tools | Macros | Security) for each individual Office application. It must be Medium or lower (though lower levels are not safe) for your macro/form to work.

James

lagordon
08-27-2004, 11:19 AM
All users were set to medium before this started. They get the error message and then respond to enable the macros. Sorry, but that's not the issue.

Lorrie

JOrzech
08-27-2004, 02:24 PM
Just for clarification, all the macros are stored in the template itself. Correct?

fumei
08-29-2004, 11:34 PM
And check to se if the users have the reference made to the WinHTTP.DLL. it is crucial for using http protocol within Word.

lagordon
08-30-2004, 09:43 AM
The macros are stored in the template itself.

Where would I check for the user reference to WinHTTP.DLL?

BTW, I followed up on a reference to the Workgroup Templates folder on the MS support webpages. I setup a shared folder on the SharePoint server for templates, pointed the template file location for Workgroup Templates to that shared folder, and then tried again to publish the template to SharePoint. The good news is that is that the macros now work. The user opens the template through SharePoint, saves it as a document to their desktop, and the macros execute as planned. The remaining awkwardness is that it is opening as a template, so that user must go through changing it to Save As document. But at least the macros in the form work.

Lorrie

JOrzech
08-30-2004, 04:35 PM
lagordon

To check for reference to WinHTTP.dll, open your template, press Alt F11, View, Project Explorer, click on your project (template). Go to Tools, References, and see if there a check mark next to it. If there is and it's still not working, you may need to register the dll with regserv32.exe by copying the dll and pasting it into regserv32.exe. I'm actually not familiar with Win HTTP.dll, but am familiar with registering other components.

I am so pleased you got most of it working....