PDA

View Full Version : v lookup problem

rodney_malod
02-01-2006, 04:09 AM
i've got a v lookup that finds a code in a matrix, copys the price to another sheet, where a variance is calculated.

in some cases m,ore than 1 code makes up a part, so i might have "A123" as a simple code, but i have also got "A123 + 2 of A213"

is there a way of breaking the second code example down and making it calculate the cost of the 2 components, and add that to the price of the first?

theres lots to do i don't particularly want to do it by hand

XLGibbs
02-01-2006, 05:44 AM
i've got a v lookup that finds a code in a matrix, copys the price to another sheet, where a variance is calculated.

in some cases m,ore than 1 code makes up a part, so i might have "A123" as a simple code, but i have also got "A123 + 2 of A213"

is there a way of breaking the second code example down and making it calculate the cost of the 2 components, and add that to the price of the first?

YOu are going to have explain some of this to get an answer...

What identifies "some cases more the 1 code makes up a part"? Are there more that 1 part number in a cell? Where is the quantity? is the data in table or list for getting the prices?

Does the result have to be in one cell?

Gonna need some more to go on...

rodney_malod
02-01-2006, 05:53 AM
sorry, in one cell is basically a product code, but sometimes that product is made up of more than one part number, hence the "A123 + 2 of A321" that is the code for a kit.
i need to somehow get the code to break down into its individual parts so "A123" and "A321" "A321" so that the vlookup find the price for the individual components, so if:
"A123" = ?4
and
"A321" = ?1

then i wish the price of ?6 to be returned in a single cell.

matthewspatrick
02-01-2006, 05:55 AM
Rodney,

Could you please upload a small sample file demonstrating this? I'm still not getting it :dunno

Patrick

mdmackillop
02-01-2006, 06:08 AM
Hi Rodney,
It looks to me that your cell text is going to be critical if it is to be analysed by code to return the parts. It's likely that you'll need a userform or similar to ensure that text entry is exact.