PDA

View Full Version : VBA to Hide and Show rows based on multiple ranges provided

chaoscreater
08-09-2021, 11:12 PM
Hi all,

I'm a complete noob when it comes to VBA scripts, I've never used it before and I'm not a programmer at all. I found a VBA script online and I don't know enough to modify it to suit my needs.

The script has 2 functions - HideRows and ShowRows. When you run them, you are asked to specify a range. For example, I can provide the following range:
'Sheet 1'!H7:H24

It will then look at the cells at H7~H24 in Sheet 1 and hide or unhide the row(s), depending on whether the cell value is a 0 or not.

What I'm trying to do is to provide multiple ranges from multiple sheets. E.g:

'Sheet 1'!H7:H24
'Sheet 2'!D5:D19

The problem is that the VBA script seems to only allow one range at a time and I need to modify this to allow multiple ranges.

For reference, I have attached a test Excel spreadsheet for you to play around with.

Sub HideRows()
Dim WorkRng As Range
Dim cell As Range

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
On Error Resume Next
xTitleId = "Hide Rows"
Set WorkRng = Application.Selection
Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8)

For Each cell In WorkRng.Rows
If (WorksheetFunction.CountIf(cell, "<>0") - WorksheetFunction.CountIf(cell, "") = 0) And (WorksheetFunction.CountA(cell) - WorksheetFunction.Count(cell) = 0) Then
cell.EntireRow.Hidden = True
End If
Next cell

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
End Sub

Sub ShowRows()
Dim rng As Range
Dim WorkRng As Range
Dim xNumber As Integer
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
On Error Resume Next
xTitleId = "Show Rows"
Set WorkRng = Application.Selection
Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8)
'xNumber = Application.InputBox("Number", xTitleId, "", Type:=1)
For Each rng In WorkRng
rng.EntireRow.Hidden = False
Next
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
End Sub

p45cal
08-10-2021, 03:11 AM
InputBox won't accept ranges from more than one worksheet, nor can you assign ranges from more than one worksheet to a range variable (your WorkRng). (You can, however use multiple ranges from the same sheet in the Input box.)
This could be done with a bit more coding, where it keeps asking for ranges until you leave one blank, but I've no time to do that myself now.
However, I see you've put range addresses in 2 cells on Sheet2, (H9 & H12); do you want the macro to use the data in these cells to tell it what ranges to process?

chaoscreater
08-10-2021, 04:31 AM
do you want the macro to use the data in these cells to tell it what ranges to process?

correct, but I need to process ranges for other sheets.

p45cal
08-10-2021, 07:37 AM
See attached.

p45cal
08-27-2021, 03:05 PM
Cross poster with attitude:
https://www.mrexcel.com/board/threads/im-a-vba-noob-need-help-with-vba-script.1178730/
https://www.excelforum.com/excel-programming-vba-macros/1356487-vba-to-hide-and-show-rows.html
https://www.ozgrid.com/forum/index.php?thread/1230055-i-m-a-vba-noob-need-help-with-vba-script/