PDA

View Full Version : copy paste problem

gibbo1715
02-02-2006, 02:59 AM
All

I have some form fields that I set enabled to false on via code once they have been completed, my problem is I still need to be able to copy paste from them, is there an easy way to do this please

cheers

Gibbo

Anne Troy
02-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Why copy/paste, Gibbo? Can you tell me a little bit more? Maybe you can use an autotext entry instead?

gibbo1715
02-05-2006, 01:48 AM
hi Anne,

Sorry for the delay in the reply.

What I have is a word form and it needs to go through an application and 2 managers.

This is a large document which needs to be retained in a locked format but it can take several hours to complete so if i can make a copy paste available to the original applicant it will save a load of work for them.

I have found a way around this but my solution involves emailing a copy back and this is not ideal

cheers

gibbo

Anne Troy
02-05-2006, 02:50 AM
But what are they copying FROM? Why copy/paste? Why not autotext or an includetext field?

fumei
02-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Yes, could you please describe EXACTLY what the problem is, what you want to do, and what you have tried so far.

Copying from where? Copying to where?

gibbo1715
02-06-2006, 02:40 AM
Ok

Thanks for bearing with me on this

I have an application form with two parts. Part 1 is completed by the applicant who then presses a submit button. Part 1 is then locked from editing (so the line manager can not edit the application) and the application is copied to a secure drive and folder (Location unknown to the applicant). A unique reference is added to the document at this point

The manager opens this application and completes their part (Part2) and presses a submit button, this locks the whole form completely so it cannot be edited and moves the document to another secure folder for review by a second line manager.

The second manager can view the application but cannot edit it. They complete another seperate form stating if the are happy with the application or not.

If they are not the the original applicant has to complete a new application with a new reference number (The original one needs to be archived in a locked format).

I have the process above all working perfectly, but to assist the applicants im trying to find the easiest way of returning a copy of the original application to them in an editable format, I can do this (And currently do) as an email attachment but was just wondering if there was an easy way to enable copy paste just to simplify my process

Hope that makes sense

Gibbo

fumei
02-06-2006, 09:46 AM
Well...that is a good description of the process...except I still don't know anything about WHAT you are copying.

If the applicant has to create a NEW application....why are you returning the old one? The old one has old information. Are you saying that you want to return the old one with all the old information so they can edit it and turn it into a new one? Why not - well, gosh - have them make a new one? You want to send them a COPY of the old one? And keep the old one as well? This seems odd.

But even so...why not return it to them...unlocked???

Again, why copy paste?

fumei
02-06-2006, 09:48 AM
I guess what I am saying is - why not send the applicant a notice that their application was not approved...here is a new application.

gibbo1715
02-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Sorry bit difficult to explain in full,

even if the application needs some small changes they will still need to complete a new one, these can take several hours to complete so giving them a copy paste function will save a lot of time and money,

I do get an unprotected version back to the applicant via email or as you say give them a link to an unprotected version, I was just curious if it was possible to enable copy paste without unlocking the document,

Im assuming that it is not possible

Cheers

Gibbo

Anne Troy
02-06-2006, 03:23 PM
Okay...
So have them take the original form and insert it into a new document. All done. Protected form becomes unprotected when inserting into a new document, and you don't have to deal with all the other crap. But of course, you may need to create them a template for a "revised" application or something. Or, perhaps you even code that template to ask them where the old one is, and it becomes inserted into a new one that's protected.... Why would they then need copy/paste?

gibbo1715
02-07-2006, 01:32 AM
Thanks Anne, i ll have a play with that idea I think and see where i end up,

cheers

Gibbo

fumei
02-07-2006, 09:08 AM
Yes...I am STILL not getting the copy paste issue at all.