PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Include the exact name from one cell in to a formula in another cell

boccuz
01-15-2022, 08:18 AM
Hello,

I have a formula in columns C, G, and K that counts the number of times a name as it is exactly shown in column Q in the data sheet appears. This list of names changes frequently and each time I add a name, I need to change the name in each column manually. I am trying to have the formula pickup the name automatically so that when I add, delete, sort, I will not need to manually update any of the name in the formula. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

arnelgp
01-15-2022, 08:42 AM
so you only need formula in Column A?
try on Row 5:

=IF(LEN(Q5&""),Q5,"")

and copy it down the column.

boccuz
01-15-2022, 01:55 PM
Arnelgp,

Thank you for the response. However, I am not looking to change the value in column A. Here is the formula in row 5, column C: =COUNTIFS('Jan Data'!$C:$C,"*Glenn Becker*",'Jan Data'!$F:$F,1,'Jan Data'!$H:$H,0). I am looking to automatically change the name in the formula to match the name in column Q by row. To clarify, if I were to copy the formula to row 6 the name would change to the name in row 6, column Q automatically. I would not need to make the change manually.

Hope this clarifies what I am looking to do. Sorry for the not being clear in my initial response.

arnelgp
01-15-2022, 05:04 PM
That was taken care also, just forget to mention.

大灰狼1976
01-17-2022, 04:29 AM
Hi boccuz!
For example:
C5=COUNTIFS('Jan Data'!$C:$C,"*"&Q5&"*",'Jan Data'!$F:$F,1,'Jan Data'!$H:$H,0)

--Okami

arnelgp
01-17-2022, 04:57 AM
Hi boccuz!
For example:
C5=COUNTIFS('Jan Data'!$C:$C,"*"&Q5&"*",'Jan Data'!$F:$F,1,'Jan Data'!$H:$H,0)

--Okami
Like I said i did the same formula and just forget to mention it to the OP.

boccuz
01-17-2022, 06:59 AM

Thank you Arnelgp and 1976, I see where I made my error. I did not place the &Q5& between " I only had it between *. This works great now. I truly appreciate your help an support.

I am getting another error I can not figure out. In the attached, column J has a date and the date value is supposed to go in column K, but I am getting an error. Hope you can help with this as well.

Thanks

Boccuz

georgiboy
01-17-2022, 07:08 AM
Try =VALUE(J2)

Instead of =IFERROR(DATEVALUE(J2),"")

arnelgp
01-17-2022, 07:16 AM
you can Format column K as Date (short date).
then add this formula in K2:

=INT(A2)

then you copy the formula down the column.

boccuz
01-17-2022, 08:22 AM
Thank you everyone. The spreadsheet is now working as intended. I appreciate all of your help and support.

Thank you!

Boccuz