PDA

View Full Version : Refer to Excel collections in VBA with a "variable" name?

pplanch
01-28-2022, 01:01 AM
Hi there,

In the code I'm working on, I would like to (if possible) set up collections and refer to them with names that are not "hard-coded" but are generated in the code. Is this possible?

e.g. I have a collection with bank account data in objects. I have 3 bank accounts currently, so have created 3 objects (colKeyWordsBank1List, colKeyWordsBank2List, colKeyWordsBank3List). What I would like to do is have the objects created and referred to with something like "colKeyWordsBank" & i & "List" where i is variable.

I've tried to google a solution with no luck. Maybe someone in this forum can point me to a solution? (or confirm if it is at all possible).

I'm running Excel 365 on Win11 and Mac.

Thanks in advance for any feedback ...

Bob Phillips
01-28-2022, 04:00 AM
Would a collection class not do what you want?

pplanch
01-28-2022, 05:43 AM
Would a collection class not do what you want?

Quite possibly … I’m relatively new to classes and collections, haven’t figured out to combine then yet. I’ll ponder this, thanks for the tip …

If I understand your suggestion correct, what I need to do, is first have the classes for the individual objects, then set up a separate class for the collection of the objects, and then create items in the latter one ?

Bob Phillips
01-28-2022, 10:57 AM
You basically understand the concept, but you have two class types, the object and the collection. You populate the object class, then add it to the collection class, which will have a property of the object class. You can then iterate through the collection, reference by index, or add a name property to reference by.

Paul_Hossler
01-28-2022, 07:36 PM
I'd use a Dictionary as the main 'container' with a class containing a collection as it's elements

I just think it's a little more flebible than a Collection

This needs error checking and the class could probably have more functionality included, but might give you some ideas

Standard module -------------------

Option Explicit

Sub Example()
Dim KeyWords As Object
Dim KeyWordsList As clsKeyWords
Dim i As Long

Set KeyWords = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
Set KeyWordsList = New clsKeyWords

With KeyWords
.Add "KeyWordsBank1List", KeyWordsList
.Add "KeyWordsBank2List", KeyWordsList
.Add "KeyWordsBank3List", KeyWordsList
End With

i = 1
With KeyWords("KeyWordsBank" & i & "List")
.Entry("Key001") = "Data001"
.Entry("Key002") = "Data002"
.Entry("Key003") = "Data003"
End With

i = 3
With KeyWords("KeyWordsBank" & i & "List")
.Entry("Key001") = "Data004"
.Entry("Key002") = "Data005"
.Entry("Key003") = "Data006"
End With

MsgBox KeyWords("KeyWordsBank1List").KeyWords("Key001")
MsgBox KeyWords("KeyWordsBank3List").Entry("Key001")

End Sub

clsKeyWords module ------------------------------------------

Option Explicit

Private m_KeyWords As Collection

Private Sub Class_Initialize()
Set m_KeyWords = New Collection
End Sub

Private Sub Class_Terminate()
Set m_KeyWords = Nothing
End Sub

Property Get KeyWords() As Collection
Set KeyWords = m_KeyWords
End Property

Property Let Entry(K As String, V As Variant)
m_KeyWords.Add V, K
End Property

Property Get Entry(K As String) As Variant
Entry = m_KeyWords(K)
End Property

pplanch
01-28-2022, 08:24 PM
Sounds interesting, Paul. From what I found after reading your suggestion it would appear however (haven’t tested yet) that this would not work on Mac, so I’d have to use a replacement for dictionaery …

Paul_Hossler
01-29-2022, 12:20 AM
This reports to be a 'drop in' replacement for the scripting dictionary that will work on a Mac also

https://github.com/VBA-tools/VBA-Dictionary

pplanch
01-29-2022, 12:28 AM
Thanks, Paul, I meanwhile got out of bed and found the link you posted, as well as some similar links for the drop-in replacement ... I do appreciate your following through :-)

Bob Phillips
01-29-2022, 03:36 AM
I just think it's a little more flebible than a Collection

And then you used a collection! :dunno

Paul_Hossler
01-29-2022, 02:44 PM
well .... I did use a Dictionary as the outer container :doh:

I suppose it might have been more consistent to also use a Dictionary as the inner containers

Using a dictionary gave me the ability to index the outer container by using a constructed string

Bob Phillips
01-31-2022, 04:19 AM
Paul, one of my reasons for using a collection class was because I did some work many years ago, prompted by an idea from Rob Van Gelder, to extend the class to provide subsets of the collection.

Thinking of this led me to recall building an example with a disconnected recordset some time ago, which provides the same functionality as the collection class, builtin, and more, such as sorting. It certainly provides that ability to recall an item by using a constructed string.

snb
02-01-2022, 03:27 AM
See: https://www.snb-vba.eu/inhoud.html